Monday, December 28, 2015

Worth a Second Look -- Top Posts of 2015

The month of December can guarantee you two things: articles about gift giving and end-of-year wrap ups. Best of, most attention driven, this is our favorite, or what to look forward to next year. It can get tiring but I really enjoy these posts as they often remind me of past articles I've enjoyed or give attention to things I've missed. I'm a nostalgic person by nature so I enjoy them, even if they're a bit repetitive. It's a nice chance to reflect on all that's gone on and if you're anything like me, you'll likely be surprised that so much has happened in a year.

This year was the rebirth of Soon Remembered Tales. After taking a year off from writing in this blog, I realized how much I missed reviewing and creating posts. It was such a solid part of my life for so long that I wanted to return to it. This time, with less pressure on myself that I had to write every week if I was busy--something that caused me stress previously.

With that, lets check out some highlights:

The Prince Lestat by Anne Rice
Poetry of Lang Leav 
Quiet by Susan Cain
The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater



Colonial Williamsburg -- Williamsburg, Virginia
Cajun Encounters -- Slidell, Louisiana
Homestead Farms -- Poolesville, Maryland



I've had so much fun over the course of the year and I've experienced a lot through travel and reading. I've rambled on and on about a lot of different subjects on the blog over this year and have an assortment of posts that I had an absolute joy writing and reliving the content. 

The Secret History felt like an assigned reading. It was deep, descriptive, and messed with my mind. But I enjoyed diving into that dark, twisted world during the chilly days of early spring. And Pilgrim at Tinker Creek only widened my mind to the description of the world. I found someone who loves nature like I do and can write about it in such detail it's inspiring. While My Salinger Year made me fantasize about working in publishing and writing that novel that's always been sitting in my brain.

I shared My Reading Nook and asked others to shares theres as well (hopefully, someone will! It's a fun look into the reading world). But my reading nook soon changed into so much more than just a place to do pleasure reading when I was accepted into graduate school and began my classwork. 

I've been so lucky to travel quite a bit within the United States and write about the places I've seen. I update my Trover account with my most favorite vacation photos but for specific experiences, I write about them here. But I really enjoyed writing about the Pennsylvania Ren Faire--a faire I go to yearly if I can, sometimes multiple times! And my most favorite post, above all, was writing about Yosemite Park. I still can't believe I was able to go to Yosemite and I can't wait to go back!



  1. The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
  2. First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen
  3. Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen
  4. Quiet by Susan Cain
  5. Paper Towns by John Green
  6. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
  7. Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge
  8. Shadows on My Heart by Lucy Rebecca Buck
  9. The Wolves of Mercy Falls Books 1-3 by Maggtie Stiefvater
  10. Love and Misadventures by Lang Leav
  11. Lullabies by Lang Leav
  12. The Raven Cycle Books 1-3 by Maggie Stiefvater
  13. You Have to Fucking Eat by Adam Mansbach
  14. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  15. The Shape of My Heart by Mark Sperring
  16. Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck
  17. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
  18. Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor
  19. The Fall of Arthur by J.R.R. Tolkein
  20. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail by Cheryl Strayed
  21. The Secret History by Donna Tartt
  22. Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry
  23. Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
  24. Blankets by Craig Thompson
  25. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
  26. What Pet Should I Get? by Dr. Seuss
  27. Edward Scissorhands Volume 1: Parts Unknown by Kate Leth
  28. Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
  29. Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George
  30. The Wicked + The Divine Parts 1 and 2 by Kieron Gillen
  31. Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel
  32. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie
  33. The Quiet Gut Cookbook by Sonoma Press
  34. Fables: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham
  35. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard
  36. Compulsion by Martina Boone
  37. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
  38. The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman
  39. Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach
  40. A Sense of the Infinite by Hilary T. Smith
  41. Leviathan by David Sedaris
  42. A Death by Stephen King
  43. The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allen Poe
  44. The Lesson by Toni Cade Bambara
  45. Happy Endings by Margaret Atwood
  46. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
  47. My Last Duchess by Robert Browning
  48. MLA Handbook for Writers
  49. The Eatonville Anthology by Zora Neale Houston
  50. Cattle Haul by Jesmyn Ward
  51. Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
  52. Memories by Lang Leav
  53. St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Karen Russell
  54. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
  55. There is No Right Way to Meditate by Yumi Sakugawa
  56. Nimona by Noelle Stevenson



The Secret History by Donna Tartt [Link]Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry [Link]The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen
Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen [Link]Quiet by Susan Cain [Link]Paper Towns by John Green [Link]The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge [Link]Shadows on My Heart by Lucy Rebecca Buck
The Wolves of Mercy Falls Books 1-3 by Maggie Stiefvater
Love and Misadventures by Lang Leav
Lullabies by Lang Leav
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater [Link]Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour [Link]
A Sense of the Infinite by Hilary T. Smith [Link]
Chasing Shadows by Swati Avasthi [Link]
Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George [Link]
Edward Scissorhands (Parts Unknown) by Kate Leth [Link]
Blankets by Craig Thompson [Link]
I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson [Link]
Walden by Henry David Thoreau [Link]
Compulsion by Martina Boone [Link]
On Writing by Stephen King [Link]
Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory [Link]
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling (softcover) [Link]
The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 1 by Jaimie Mckelvie and Kieron Gillen [Link]
The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 2 by Jaimie Mckelvie and Kieron Gillen [Link]
A Little Maid of Old Connecticut by Alice Turner Curtis [Link]
A Little Maid of Old Virginia by Alice Turner Curtis [Link]
A Little Maid of Old New York by Alice Turner Curtis [Link]
A Little Maid of Old Massachusetts Colony by Alice Turner Curtis [Link]
Heidi by Johanna Spyri [Link]
A Little Princess by Francis Hodgson Burnett [Link]
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery [Link]
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott [Link]
Pilgrim on Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard [Link]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!