Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Wanderlust Wednesday: Books to Travel By



Books can do marvelous things. If you're a book reader, you already know that they can provide a means for escape from the regular life. As a teenager, I often read my free time away. It was my means of escape from my small town and the stressors of school. In books, I discovered new worlds and lands. I made friends and learned new things. It helped me become who I am today and I'm grateful for that.

Now as an adult with my own income and no need to ask my parents' permission to do things, I read books with a different view of escape. I gobble them up to get away from the stressors of the work week, sure, but I am also fantasizing things that I wish I could do and visit places that I very well may see myself.

I have a strong case of wanderlust that has been heightened over the years. I've always had wanderlust, if I'm being honest. I've always wanted to travel and see different things. My father, a truck driver, has seen most of America and I certainly inherited his desire to be on the move. Even when I am already plotting out one vacation, my mind is considering where I'll go to next. It excites me to see so much, and while I have yet to be out of the United States, I'm lucky enough to see the different regions of America.

Boy, does America have a wide range of sights and landscapes. It's amazing and beautiful and I feel so lucky to be able to experience it all.

But, unfortunately, I also have a job and without that job, I wouldn't be able to travel. I have to work to have the money to travel and the vacation days. I am not one of those people who can travel and "not worry about money" as some travel blogs promote. So what do I do when I'm stuck at home working up time off? I read. Well, not while at work but you get the idea.

I've been lucky to discover a number of books that, for me, really capture the feel of movement that comes with traveling. They both quench my desire to travel (temporarily) and ignite it into a feverish need. They expose me to different landscapes and give me that dreamy sense of being far and away. Interested in escaping? Check out these reads.

Wild

Wild takes the reader to the west of the United States to the Pacific Crest Trail. Cheryl Strayed's life has built up to this moment of hiking from the Mohave Desert to Oregon and Washington state. Life sometimes has a way of getting out of control and dragging you along for the ride. When that happens and you finally have a chance to put your feet down and try to stabilize everything, it can be a little daunting and you may feel the need to get away--just like Cheryl did. While this book is very much a personal experience and the tale of Cheryl figuring her life out, it also has wonderful detail of the many ecosystems of the west coast that you can feel growing around you as you read each page.


Travels with Charley

Steinbeck is so often paired with school assignments that many people are left with a bitter taste in their mouths when they think of reading his books for pleasure. Travels with Charley should not be a feared book; it's actually very enjoyable and at times utterly hilarious. Steinbeck recounts his journey across America and back with his dog; not only do you get to hear about the different sites that are seen, but the different people he meets and how people behaved/were treated during that time period.

Traveling with Pomegranates

This book, written by a mother and daughter team, crosses the Atlantic to France and Greece. It's here that both women (with an age difference of thirty or so years) are both set to rediscover themselves and the world around them. There's a lot of personal growth and appreciation in this book, but you're also given the opportunity to see other countries in ways that I have yet to discover (and maybe you have not seen yet yourself).

Scorpio Races

Located on an island in an unnamed area, part of an unnamed sea, the Scorpio Races gives you the taste of saltwater and scent of ocean air. I felt as if I was right up against the shore and hearing the thrashing of waves while reading this book. The lack of specific location for this book is appealing because you can picture it to be just about anywhere (I picture it being an island somewhere between America and England, but closer to England than anything). 

Little House in the Big Woods

A childhood favorite of mine: Little House in the Big Woods brings us back to America and the deep woods of Wisconsin. This, of course, is set many years ago and the world was much different back then. Depending on horse and cart to get around (otherwise, it's by foot), providing your own food through hunting and farming (sometimes purchasing if you're lucky), and protecting your home from the elements (this including wild animals). What I really loved about this book as a child and an adult is that you can so easily submerge into that past world. While simply written, there's accuracy and clear understanding to how the world was and the elements of Wisconsin (especially winter).

View other Wanderlust Wednesday posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!