Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 1 Faust Act

We keep returning to graphic novels, don't we? 2015 should be considered the year I became a graphic novels fan. After so many previous posts where I say "I don't really read graphic novels," I think we're at the point where that would be a lie. I do read graphic novels but I'm just new to the entire thing. I'm still asking for recommendations and often a little lost wondering if I'm picking up the right book and whether or not there was a previous volume. Still, I'm reading graphic novels and actively looking for more. I get the sense of accomplishment when I read a graphic novel over the course of a night but I also have found I really adore the materials I've read and the artwork involved. 

So here we are, another graphic novel, and one that was suggested to me. When I looked up TW+TD I nearly got the wrong book (whoops) until I spotted the first volume. The cover alone captured my attention and it only was further captured as I read the blurb about it: 

Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. The team behind critical tongue-attractors like Young Avengers and PHONOGRAM reunite to create a world where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. But remember: just because you’re immortal, doesn’t mean you’re going to live forever. Collects THE WICKED + THE DIVINE #1-5

Sounds awesome, no? When I grabbed the graphic novel I flipped through the pages and fell in love with the artwork. I am not sure if there's a difference between graphic novels that seem to worship art as much as the story, there definitely is a difference from them and some comics I've read, which are crammed with small imagery and a lot of dashed fonts, but I think I prefer the type of graphic novel that TW+TD falls into. The colorful, clean artwork is just so beautiful and bright!


For me, it took a hot minute to adjust to the full story. I wasn't entirely sure if we were being introduced to the gods bit by bit, if they were just arriving in this cycle on Earth, or what. As we start off the graphic novel, the gods have already been welcomed to the present day for this particular cycle. They were normal people, living their lives until suddenly they were informed they were gods. That's when the memories returned and people began to love and hate them. The world knows of this occurrence and the gods have many fans--people who flock to worship them and hope, desperately, that they may be one of the various gods that come back in cycles.

We're quickly introduced to a handful of these gods, while others remain a mystery, and it's to my utter surprise that I became completely enamored with Lucifer and the modern day interpretation of her (yes, her). The character development is a little sloppy at first because our main character (an utter fangirl named Laura) is already privy to all of the gods who are out in the open while we, the mere readers, are not. Slowly you catch on and before long, you're in the middle of it as Luci (Lucifer) is blamed for a murder and Laura tries to help prove her innocence.

It's fast paced and you're stuck from beginning to end and thank goodness I had chosen to pick up the second book when I bought the first because I dove right into that one as soon as I was done. But gosh, the imagery of this book, I fawn over it whenever I view it.

If you want to read this, be sure you have the second book close by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!