Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I'll Give You the Sun

I'll Give You the Sun brightened up my Instagram repeatedly for some time. The colorful, happy cover was all over the place and everyone seemed to love it. I wasn't very inclined to read the book until this--obviously I am easily influenced by my reader peers--but I'm quite happy I had the opportunity to read the book.

I'll Give You the Sun is written in an interesting way: the book switches from chapter to chapter from the POV of Noah to Jude, twins who live in California and at different spectrums of their teens. Whenever Noah's chapter is in play, we're looking at the twins' early teens when they were still rather close. When we switch to Jude's chapters, we're at a more current time period where a lot has changed. Their mother isn't there, the twins barely speak, and the intense love for artistry that Noah had is all but gone, while Jude who had previously been popular and social is now deep inside herself.

Every time I read Noah's chapter, I kept thinking "what the hell happened to them" in regard to the twins. In these earlier years, they're relatively close but seem to be slowly drifting apart, yet they still have a connection. For Jude's later chapters, it's like the twins don't even know each other.

Bit by bit, you're given the backstory and understanding of what exactly happened and by the end of the book, you get it. It's hard to write this review without giving too much away because so much of what made Noah-Noah and what made Jude-Jude connects to the other twin and is a spoiler. So I'll try to focus on the writing of this book. Particularly, the imagery the author managed to provide when it came to artwork.

This book is heavy in art. If you aren't an artist, I feel this book may be a bit boring for you, or it could be a marvelous introduction to what it's like to create art, what it feels like to be so focused on the work your creating, and that feeling when its complete. Falling into Noah's mind when he sketched and essentially placed his feelings into art, he sounds like he's dripping with talent and I wish, so much, that I could see the artwork he creates. His sister is much more of a hands-on girl who builds her art, whether from sand or from stone. While Noah speaks honestly through his art, his sister works through her emotions and lets them free.

There are many reasons people will make art and I feel that it being an opportunity for emotions to escape, or for unspoken words to be said, are definitely very common. Doodling, coloring, drawing, building, sculpting--it can all be so therapeutic.

Noah and Jude end up having to deal with an unthinkable loss, followed by unspeakable facts that change their idea of everything around them. They end up handling the situations given to them in different ways but through that, they grow distant, but it's also through so much misunderstanding. There's certainly a need for communication in relationships and not just romantic ones. If Noah and Jude had been upfront to one another at the start of it all, most of this would likely have been avoided.

Then again, we wouldn't have this book in our midst if the twins had chatted with one another.

I really enjoyed this book, although it was a bit slow in the middle and I found I was growing frustrated. For the length of the book, I felt like we went on a little too long before getting to the bottom line of what was going on. But the imagery was wonderful, I really felt like I was at their home, on their beach, in the artist's studio. I also felt the emotions of the characters through their artwork and thoughts to themselves. The author did a wonderful thing by bringing these characters to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!