Thursday, August 27, 2015

Summer 2015 Book Haul

Earlier this year, I had every intention of focusing solely on the books I've purchased in the past and have been planning to read. At first, I began to do just that and read a few books I had around, but then the bookstore called to me like a siren, and there my bank account drowned.

Okay, not really, but it was pretty close. 

I think it's safe to say that I have not, in any way, stuck to my goal of not buying books and reading the ones I already own. The spring was somewhat bad as I kept buying different books here and there but mainly downloading them to my Kindle. After all, where would I put the books? We have three tall book cases in our house (about 75% filled), plus two shorter cases (completely filled). With school coming into the picture, I suspected I would be buying more books and need space for them. So there wasn't any intention of buying more books as I haven't the room. I also always have in the back of my mind how utterly awful it is to move books and while we may not be moving any time soon, that memory of lugging books about is still there.


Then summer arrived in full force and I found myself drifting to the bookstore more frequently. For every stressful day, for every deadline I met, I would reward myself with a book. Not only that, but I often frequent my local Barnes and Noble cafe to do school work. Being a former bookseller, I know it can be irritating when someone basically takes over a portion of the cafe, bunkers down, and sits there for hours using the free WiFi but doesn't buy anything. You end up feeling a little used when they leave without a word or purchase. With that in mind, I always buy a drink and one cookie from the cafe, but most times I end up browsing for books afterward as well. It's the least I can do, I appreciate the atmosphere and I get large chunks of schoolwork done at the cafe.

But here we are, the end of summer already, and I realize just how many books I've gotten over the past few months. I know summer still technically has a few more weeks but I generally consider summer to be Memorial Day weekend-the end of August. Basically, the time period I used to be off for summer vacation.

I've been a part of Book Riot's adult and YA book boxes that come in quarterly which has significantly added to my book haul, but there's also the multiple bookstore trips and Amazon buying sprees. Ah, bookshelves, I'm sorry to fill you up so quickly when I said I wouldn't. 


So here's what I've bought. Title links are to reviews that have already been done for some of the books listed. Links to the right of the titles and authors bring you to sites to purchase the books yourself if you're interested!

Book Riot Quarterly

Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour [Link]
A Sense of the Infinite by Hilary T. Smith [Link]
Chasing Shadows by Swati Avasthi [Link]

Barnes and Noble Buys

Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George [Link]
Edward Scissorhands (Parts Unknown) by Kate Leth [Link]
Blankets by Craig Thompson [Link]
I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson [Link]
Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen [Link]
The Secret History by Donna Tartt [Link]
Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry [Link]
Walden by Henry David Thoreau [Link]
Compulsion by Martina Boone [Link]
On Writing by Stephen King [Link]
Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory [Link]
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling (softcover) [Link]
The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 1 by Jaimie Mckelvie and Kieron Gillen [Link]
The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 2 by Jaimie Mckelvie and Kieron Gillen [Link]

Amazon Buys

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee [Link]
Quiet by Susan Cain [Link]
Paper Towns by John Green [Link]
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater [Link]
Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge [Link]
A Little Maid of Old Connecticut by Alice Turner Curtis [Link]
A Little Maid of Old Virginia by Alice Turner Curtis [Link]
A Little Maid of Old New York by Alice Turner Curtis [Link]
A Little Maid of Old Massachusetts Colony by Alice Turner Curtis [Link]
Heidi by Johanna Spyri [Link]
A Little Princess by Francis Hodgson Burnett [Link]
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery [Link]
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott [Link]
Pilgrim on Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard [Link]


Thirty-one books purchased, four were gifts, four were repeated copies (I already own Harry Potter in hardcover and wanted a copy that could be banged up; I had The Raven Boys on my Kindle but wanted the hardcover copy; my mother has copies of A Little Princess and Little Women that are absolutely gorgeous and I don't want to injure them more than my tiny hands did when I was little and reading the books, so I bought my own copies), and I've already read eighteen of the books on the list... leaving thirteen still unread. Actually, not all bad. I was sure I wouldn't have read half of what I bought but that's a surprise. 

Am I going to sit down and read all of these books and NOT buy more? Uh... I'm not making any promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!