Monday, June 1, 2015

Big News


Soon Remembered Tales began with a sense of desperation. I had graduated with a bachelor's in English a few months beforehand and when autumn arrived, and without school to go with it, I was left feeling out of sorts. Since Kindergarten, I began school in the fall. But at 22, I wasn't heading back to classes for the first time in my life. I missed it and I felt like my brain was shriveling up. Already I had forgotten so much! So this blog was born--a way for me to note my emotions while reading.

But I still wanted to learn more. I had dreams of going to college again, of getting my master's degree and maybe, one day, my doctorate. However, such dreams were set aside while I made less than $100 a week (barely enough to afford the bills I had) and no career experience. It was a "maybe one day" dream that I wasn't sure would ever happen.

Over the past two years, I worked toward getting a copyediting certification through UC San Diego. It was a course that could have been done in a year, but I spaced it out due to a lot of job changes and events that happened in my life. Once it was done, however, I thought "what next?"

A number of my friends were starting to go back to school--those of us who did not try for a master's immediately after getting a bachelor's--and I began to poke around and look for a program that appealed to me.

After a lot of deliberation and narrowing down what I wanted in a school, I applied to Southern New Hampshire University's master's in English and creative writing program. It's entirely online, which is exactly what I was looking for! While I would love to go to a brick and mortar campus (I love the feel of college campuses), I can't afford to do that right now. The schools in my area are spread apart and with not a lot of free time to begin with, I can't afford the time needed to commute to and from campus. I also do not intend to remain in the Washington, DC area, so having a school I can "take with me" as I move from place to place is ideal.

I was accepted and began the process of preparing for class. My concentration will be in fiction and I can't wait! I begin in July and will take one course at a time--I don't think I could handle more than that!



What does this mean for Soon Remembered Tales?

I still hope to write and update the blog. I'm not sure what the workload will be for each class nor how much free time I'll have to pleasure read, but I have a ton of posts set up for the rest of this year and plan on fleshing it out even more before class begins. 

So the site is continuing on! Frequency of posts may change slightly, but so far, so good! Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!