Monday, June 8, 2015

A Month in Reviews -- May

This morning I realized I never wrote a monthly wrap up for May. I sat there, stunned for a moment, because I couldn't quite believe May was already over. Looking at the posts from the past month I kept thinking, "didn't I just post that?" Winter never passes by half as quickly as I would like but summer months seem to go by in a flash. Looking forward at this month of June, I can't help but wish most of it away to more exciting things toward the end of the month, but I'm sure come the end of the month I'll think June passed by just as quickly.


The spring-like temperatures rushed away and quickly we were in the summer humidity that makes up the DMV area. Gross, humid, but still pretty gorgeous because of all the leaves and flowers that had returned to the area.


May meant vacation for me; a mini vacation, if you will. For the past three years I've traveled during Memorial Day weekend. After a long stretch where three day weekends do not exist, Memorial Day finally arrives and I'm typically burnt out by work and in desperate need of a break. One year I went to New Orleans but the past two years I've visited my grandmother in Florida.

Visiting my grandmother is a combination of doing nothing and doing everything. It's very relaxed at my grandmother's home. I sit outside under the fans and read or splash around in the pool. I eat quietly with my grandmother and sip coffee, or we go out to dinner at a little fast food joint. But always, there is a day or two where I do something. Last year we visited the beach and Busch Gardens, this year we went to Universal Orlando and a different beach. 

I am not a ride person. I do not like thrill rides and my idea of fun is basically a carousel, but the appeal of going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter was too much to pass up. So while we may have gone to Universal which is a huge theme park that can take up your entire day, we spent it solely in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and got nearly a full day out of the experience.



I'll talk more about that in a future Wanderlust Wednesday entry, but let me say that it was an absolute blast and I simply cannot wait to go back again someday in the future.

My grandmother also gifted me with something that absolutely blew my friggen mind: a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird from 1960 (the year it was published). I've been vying for a hardcover copy of the book for ages so that I would have it on hand to pair with Harper Lee's newest book that's coming out next month, but to have a copy that was my grandmother's means so much more.



And last but not least, I was accepted into graduate school! More on that here but gosh, I am so excited. I did some school shopping and was completely in heaven. I love buying fresh school supplies.

Book Reviews:

First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen
Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Other Posts:

Natural Bridge Park and Historic Hotel
Laura's reading nook

Must Reads from the Web:

What 'Wild' Has Wrought
47 Books Every College Grad Should Read
CdA School Committee Proposes Restricting Steinbeck Book
Happy (belated) Mother's Day


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!