Thursday, March 12, 2015

My Reading Nook -- Ashley

My Reading Nook, a feature from Soon Remembered Tales, gives readers a chance to show off their favorite place to read.


What’s your reading nook? 

My reading nook is my twin bed in my apartment. It’s got lots of pillows and blankets so it’s comfortable and on a cold day, it’s a great place to snuggle up and read a book. My apartment’s position in the building allows for a lot of natural light, which is great to read by, even though I mainly use a tablet. The black and white patterned blanket is a heated blanket so it’s very easy to make sure that the temperature is just right. As you can also see, I often have one of my cats join me while I’m relaxing.


Why is this nook special?  

I like reading here because it’s quiet, it’s comfortable, and basically it’s entirely my own space where I know people won’t interrupt me if I want to sit, read, play games, or just in general chill out. The bed’s position gets a lot of great light and it serves double duty as both my bed and as a couch when I have guests over. The bed was purchased from World Market and has a great vintage feel to it; and its softened up by the comfy mattress, large body pillows, and tons of blankets. I don’t use the reading pillow as much as I should, because I typically end up laying down or leaning on the body pillows instead, but it’s nice to have for guests who come over who may have to sit on the floor (sorry, the apartment’s small!).


Where else do you read?  

I also tend to read a lot on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), the train I commute on to and from work. Since I’m usually just sitting or standing for about a half hour, I whip out a book or my video game system and pass the time. Often I’m standing and having to hold on to something, so this is where my tablet or phone comes in really handy. Space is at a premium when it comes to rush hour, so not having to use two hands to turn pages is a boon.


About You:  

I’m Ashley, a pseudo-journalist with a penchant for horror movies and video games. I generally dabble in horror novels (William Blatty’s ‘The Exorcist’ kept me sleeping with the lights on for a month) but I also enjoy a good science fiction piece or fantasy. My favorite book is Mary Shelley’s ‘Frankenstein: Or, The Modern Prometheus,’ and I love finding either new adaptations or self-styled sequels and comparing them to the original work. I also love video games, as mentioned above; though I do love horror, I also like trying out various genres and types. I usually land in fantasy RPGs, though!


Interested in sharing your own reading nook? Take a look at the My Reading Nook tab for more information!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!