Friday, January 30, 2015

A Month in Reviews -- January

Cheers to 2015!

January 2015! I still can't believe that we're already in 2015. I'm usually stunned and confused about the year for the first few months or so, until I grow used to it and comfortable with the number. But this particular January has certainly been a whirlwind of activity. It seems that the older I get, the busier I get. I think back to high school and college when I thought I was busy, or craved adulthood and all that went with it, and I want to shake my younger self by the shoulders and say "Enjoy the quiet, enjoy your time off; life is going to get so crazy!" But I mean that in the best of ways.



This month added a lot to my day-to-day schedule. I began following the FODMAP diet, which is more like dietary restrictions than a diet. It's hard, an epic pain in the butt, but it helps my IBS. Aside from the challenge of just sticking to it, it also means being more picky with what foods I buy and making most of my meals from scratch at home -- which sucks up a lot of time. Still, it's great for my body and I'm glad I've stuck with it.

I also began going to Lifetime Fitness regularly. Let me tell you right now, it's great. If you're looking for a gym and a Lifetime is near you, I say check it out! I've experienced my share of gyms in my life and this is, by far, the most supportive (and clean) gym I've ever attended. I feel like I'm on an epic retreat when I go to the gym and I haven't even used all the facilities available to me yet! 

I'm also working on my final course for a copyediting certification. This is rather new, as it only started two weeks ago, but it'll be adding onto my workload for the next three months and boy am I ready! I've been working toward this certification for nearly two years with many, many breaks between classes, but it's all been for the best and I'm eager to conquer the final class.


Of course, one of the biggest events of January was the reopening of this blog! It's been wonderful and I'm so glad I'm here with such wonderful readers. You've all been so supportive and I appreciate all your views. But, if you're busy like I've been, I'm sure you've missed a couple things.


Book Reviews:


This month has provided new reviews on a handful of books. Some were positive, some weren't so much, and some were ill received by the book's authors. It's part of running this blog, to be honest with my opinion of books, and I intend to stick with that. I've also opened up to personal hardships and how books have helped me overcome them, as well as a book that gave me a very nostalgic reaction.



My Reading Nook

January also meant the introduction of My Reading Nook. My Reading Nook is a submission-based post where you, my reader, submit photos of the area you like to read and share with everyone some information on it. Aside from this, it's a chance to share our diversity in reading, but also show how we're all related. Some people like to read on buses while others can only read in quiet locations, it's all different and yet the same. We're all joined together by reading and that's just awesome.



If you want more details, please follow this link or, in the future, you can just click on the My Reading Nook at the top of my blog's page!

Other Posts

What's January without some kind of a yearly wrap up? I shared with you the books I read during the year I was away from the blog and it was a nice little trip down memory lane for me. I hope to bring in some reviews from those books during the next few months so bear with me.

Another post that I threw on the blog is the start of my Wanderlust Wednesday series. I've been so lucky to travel in the past few years and I hope to keep doing it. On any given day I'll count how many weeks or months it has been since I last flew somewhere and immediately get the itch to do it again. With so many expenses this year (gym, healthy foods, class) I'm not sure how much traveling I'll be doing, but I hope to keep up with it. This month I talked about Cajun Encounters, a tour group that I really loved that's based in New Orleans. Take a look at my Wanderlust Wednesday post to learn more about the tours they offer and my experience with them!

Must Reads from the Web

There is so much material out there pertaining to writing and reading. On any day I can find a ton of articles -- posting them is a different story as I often forget by the time I get home or lose the link. However, these are the articles I've read from around the web in the past month that actually made it to my Facebook page.



So long, January! Take your cold weather with you (or maybe just give me snow so I can work from home all of February). 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!