Monday, July 8, 2013

The Kissing Hand

I can't even begin to guess why it is that I had never read this book before. As a bookseller I spent much of my time in the children and young adult section of my bookstore. I found this book, shelved this book, sold this book and recognized this book and yet never thought to open it and read it. I knew one thing though: people loved this book. There were always those children's books that you saw pass by at the registers at least once a month, if not once a week or even more than that and this book was in that group. 

It may have taken me longer than necessary, but I finally got around to reading this book. I have a soft spot for colorful children books with cuddly looking animals. Maybe I read many of these books when I was a child and it reminds me of that but there is just something comforting about the artwork in this story. 

The idea behind it, to me, is rather fabulous. I was very shy as a child and often (more or less) terrified to leave my mother's side. I could sympathize with our little raccoon friend because he was nervous about attending school for the first time and being away from his own mother.

This book has been on bookshelves for a long time and often by looking at it, I didn't get the appeal, but after reading the story I found it endearing and sweet and I completely understand why it has stood the test of time. This is the perfect book for a child who is about to embark on their school time adventures or spend time away from their parent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!