Thursday, February 28, 2013

February Wrap Up

February was a bit rough on me. As I've mentioned, I'm not a fan of the first two months of the year and by the first week of February I was desperate for spring. February typically has the grossest weather and that feeling of unending winter. It's also when I get my taxes done and really, who enjoys that? I was able to break up the dull days of February by way of spring preparation: buying some sundresses, plotting out what my herb garden is going to be and booking a room for New Orleans. I've also begun to slowly slink out of my winter hibernation and start doing stuff out and about in DC. A Doctor Who viewing party at a club, dinner, seeing movies, and hanging out with books.

There was also Valentine's Day, a holiday I've never been particularly fascinated with (even as a child) but it was made special while I was at work due to my lovely coworkers who gave out little treats. One lovely lady was quite crafty in her Valentine giving and she made an awesome tutorial on her blog which you can read about here. You should probably follow her too, she and her sister have a great blog.

To say that I am happy it is almost March would be too vague a word; being ecstatic and feeling the urge to do cartwheels is more accurate.


Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl is extremely interesting and I am really excited for the film to come out. (it's not out already, is it?) The mix of supernatural and the Civil War had my heart a flutter and my literary tastes salivating. What's refreshing is that this book is narrated by a guy rather than the stereotypical female role!
Looking for Alaska by John Green was another book that knocked me down and left me in the dirt staring at the sky. John Green has a way of capturing those first time experiences as a teenager and putting them into eloquent words. I really adore this author and this book.
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey was a bit sad but still a lovely read. Long after I finished the book I still found myself thinking of the story and its characters and referencing them in conversation. I hope you find a similar experience when you read this book.
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente carried me away to Fairyland and the only regret I had of this book was "Why couldn't this have been out when I was a kid!?" 


I've joined up with the 52 Lists project and after playing some catch up I've been sharing a weekly list about different things. I adore this project even still! Catch up with my lists by clicking the links:

As I mentioned up above, I booked my room for my New Orleans getaway and I have to share with you what site I used for booking. If you haven't heard of it, please direct your attention to Airbnb. You have your fair share of choices when looking for a place to stay in various cities around the world and you can cater your search to what you wish (like if you only want to stay in a castle). People rent out rooms, homes, or whatever else for your use while they are either not in the area or if they just so happen to have a spare room that they're willing to rent out. I found a really awesome (and lovely) room for my stay in New Orleans and it is nearly half the price of what I would be paying had I decided to get a hotel room. So, if you're traveling in the near future I suggest you check out Airbnb and see what deals you can find!

I also signed up for my first 5k! I'll be attending the Color Run in September for Washington DC. If you or someone you know will be a part of it, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!