Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Night Circus

It was some time ago, early spring to be exact, that I first heard of The Night Circus from a co-worker. I looked it up and immediately marveled at the book cover. Still, it was put aside as my life became crazy with moving and job hunting. The book, however, would not be so easily forgotten and was quite persistent in catching my attention. Again and again it popped up until finally I broke down. Yes, I swore off buying books but my money was burning a hole in my pocket and I couldn't resist anymore.

I bought the book and began to read it as soon as possible. My first impression was the language. I was blown away by the beautiful, descriptive words. The circus is something magical and uneblievable yet it is so easy to picture thanks to the author's detailed writing style. Everything made me curious and eager to learn more. With that I found one negative attribute. I knew that this book was about a competition and it was obvious early on as to who would be competing. What I had issue with was that I wasn't entirely sure what was going on for the first chunk of the book. What is the circus? What do these people have to do with it? What is this challenge that keeps being brought up? I think it's safe to say that it begins a little slow. After that, however, the storyline picks up with quickening speed and I was pulled in.

Celia is a wonderful character; smart, quick witted, imaginative, polite and cautious of growing attached to people. Marco, her competitor, is also intelligent, if a little reserved, but equally likeable. It's typical to take a side when faced with a competition, even in literature, and yet I enjoyed both characters so much that I wanted them both to win. I couldn't pick just one side and I was desperate for them to have wonderful lives. Although the details of the competition and how a winner was determined were very vague to the players I had a feeling that I wouldn't like the outcome of this game.

There was also a slew of other characters who were artfully created which I loved or hated. The father figures of Celia and Marco interested me yet made me incredibly angry and protective of the the competitors. The commonly mentioned people associated with the circus I also enjoyed. Even the children, Poppit, Widget and Bailey I truly loved and wouldn't mind reading more about.

The interwoven stories of the characters from chapter to chapter is a lovely analogy of the competition itself. Again, the detail of the circus and different tents was breathaking. The ending of the book ahd me so focused that everything around me had all but vanished as if I were in my own illusion. I did not want this book to end and I ached for the characters and still do (I am writing this the day after I finished the book for it to be scheduled for publication in a few weeks).

Rumor has it that this is already being made into a movie and I'm not at all excited. A part of the illusion which this book creates is all in the head. You create your own circus and each person sees it differently. The characters have their own special qualities and the magic that is performed in one's mind may never been what the movie shows. The movie makes it specific, clear cut, and takes away part of the illusion reading the book can create. Granted, Harry Potter and The Hunger Games proved to me that books-turned-into-movies can be accurate and not making me into a complete grump but I am very much of the opinion that I need to see it to believe it. If the movie comes out, I will likely see it, but I won't be surprised if I dislike it and am annoyed that it fits nothing which I've seen in my minds eye. In fact, I would be surprised if I did like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!