Friday, August 3, 2012

Blog Hop - August 3rd

Blog Hop:
Book Blogger Hop


This Weeks Question:
When a book goes “viral” (Hunger Games, Fifty Shades, Twilight), do you rush out to read it like everyone else, even if it’s not in your typical genre?

My Answer:
I feel as a book reviewer that I need to balance a thin line between reading for pleasure and reading for reviews. Or to break it down even more, reading a book because it is popular or reading it because I hear good reviews and it happens to be popular. I've typically always have been that person who, have I not been the first to discover something, shun it when it gains popularity because I do not want to be seen as "one of the sheep." This may be a very judgmental point of view but there you have it. And yet, if a book is popular you want to read it and review it because that is of people's interest - if traffic on your book blog is important to you. So I've found myself torn. Do I want to read Fifty Shades of Grey and subsequently want to rip my eyes out just so that I can get a review on my blog? Or do I want to ignore it? I feel that I have found a balance - I only read viral books which catch my interest. Lucky enough for me, I caught onto The Hunger Games and Twilight prior to their relatively big explosion but The Help I nearly dutifully ignored for ages before I finally decided to give it a try. And you know what? I loved it. Personally, and I do feel sometimes other readers do this as well, I think the fact that a book can gain an almost obsessive status for people turns myself (and others) off from it. We don't want people to think we're one of that group. We don't want people to judge what we read. But it really isn't about that. It's about enjoying your reading material. So whether or not a book is viral, pick what interests you, and maybe stay away from the viral books you know you'll dislike. At least this is a rule I am trying to learn to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!