Monday, July 30, 2012

The Doorknob Society

When I was given the opportunity to read The Doorknob Society I wasn't sure if I'd pick up the book or not. I had been overwhelmed by reviews, work, looking for a permanent job, family stuff, and so much more. Was I alright with putting more on my plate? I didn't know, but the plot of this book looked interesting enough that I threw caution to the wind and said, "Why not?"

Unfortunately, I think residual stress effected my experience with this book. I don't believe I enjoyed it quite as much as I could have because there are endlessly positive reviews for the book but I found myself to be struggling to get through it.

This book reminds me of two things: Harry Potter, by JK Rowling, and Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman. You're introduced to the main character who discovers her parents were a part of an entirely secretive world, much like our own but different, and then is sent to a school to work on her abilities for this secret world. There is danger, of course, and something vaguely dangerous involving her parents. All of this reminds me of Harry Potter. What brings to mind Neverwhere is that many of the characters have a certain magic ability to touch doorknobs and make the doors open to... well, where ever. In Neverwhere, one of the main characters has the ability to open doors, so to find a book that brought to mind Rowling and Gaiman had me initially excited.

The premise is interesting, the characters are as well, and the main characters is a female character who is willing to take charge, stick up for what she believes in, and fight. This is all wonderful and I applaud. The details of the house near the beach made me happy, the detail overall was wonderful. I just found that I, unfortunately, could not get very emotionally involved in the book.

The grammatical and spelling errors weren't overwhelming in the publication although I did spot mix ups of than and then. There was also a tendency for questions marks being used when inappropriate for the sentence structure. However, these little issues didn't mar the reading itself or set the reader up for confusion. They're little and could be easily fixed.

The cover art is great and exactly something that would catch my eye as a teen. I'd swoop right in for this book and probably share it with my friends.

There are times where I'll read a book and simply dislike it, don't take this as being one of those times. As I mentioned, I think it was residual stress of things going on that warped my opinion of it. There are so many wonderful reviews about this book that I honestly feel I missed the broader picture. I'm keeping the book with full intentions of trying to read it once more in the future. Overall, the concept is great and it will hit on the interests of many. It should have the opportunity for more growth and development with readers who appreciate the tale that is being told.

Interested in picking up the book yourself? Check out the following links:
Barnes & Noble
Amazon

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!