Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Reading Addiction Blog Tour: Bayou Myth

As a sixteen year old voodoo queen in the making, Joan Renault just wants to be like all the other girls in the small town of Monte Parish, Louisiana—obsessed with boys and swamped with social lives. If the other kids would quit calling her “hoodoo hag,” she might have a small shot at normality. It would also help if Joan’s weekend outings with her secret crush, Dave, weren’t always being interrupted by her dead Grandmere, the legendary Marie Laveau. After all, it’s hard to make out with your best friend when your grandmother is watching! But when you come from a long line of voodoo priestesses with dried gator heads decorating the wall of their huts, normal doesn’t come easily.

When Joan witnesses the brutal sacrifice of a child to a tree Druid, she learns her Grandmere’s scandalous past has come back to haunt those living in the present. Hera, a vengeful voodoo priestess is determined to use the residual energy of Pandora’s Box to revive a sleeping voodoo god and declare war on the descendants of Marie Laveau, especially Joan. Suddenly, Greek myths are being re-enacted all over town, and Joan has her hands full trying to sort it all out. With the approach of Samedi’s Day—the voodoo day of resurrection—Joan must learn to accept her destiny in order to stop the approaching threat to her family and friends.

The deep south, the heat of summer, swamps, crocodiles and voodoo. Something that's always piqued my interest but I have very little experience with. When I had the chance to read Bayou Myth I jumped for the opportunity. It sounded like a fun, entertaining, if maybe a little creepy book to read and it seemed to hit on all that I was interested in.

Joan Renault is a typical teenager, desperate to be normal while very much feeling not normal. Granted, not all teenage girls are voodoo queens in the making but what teenage girl doesn't feel abnormal every now and then? I was relieved to read a supernatural book where the odd teenage girl isn't involved in vampires or werewolves. This stems on something very real but still gives that edge that supernatural YA books provide. Throw in a crush for her best friend and ex-friends and you have a character that teenage girls can relate to (and adults can recall the general feelings they had as teens as well!).

But the use of voodoo and notes (of which I am assuming are accurate) about the religion and its rituals were fascinating for me. Then I got to the awesome point of Greek mythology being tied into the story and I was simply hooked. See, I know my fair share of Greek myths and my knowledge of Voodoo deities is very small but I do recognize a lot of the deity names. To read something where faces and characteristics were placed in present day scenarios with the personalities of mortals was great entertainment and with every little oddity that occurred I thought, "What now?"

With all that was going on I was entertained and wanting more. In fact, I was a little disappointed when the book came to its end. I wanted more. I wanted to keep going. And for me? If my biggest upset with a book is that it is over then that is a good sign. The novel had a few grammatical errors and proof reading misses but due to my past job experiences I tend to zero in on that stuff. It never did anything to upset the plot and could easily be overlooked. All and all, I really adored this book and I've already suggested it to a number of close friends. For having little to no experience with fiction pertaining to voodoo I think this was a wonderful start. I loved the characters (Joan and Dave forever!) and I just couldn't get enough of it. This very well may end up on my re-read pile for future literary adventures.

Interested in getting the book for yourself? Check out these links:
Barnes & Noble
Amazon


*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!