Monday, June 18, 2012

Musing Mondays - June 18th

Hosted by Should Be Reading, this week's musing asks...

Do you think the book cover is “dead”? Do you care whether the “covers” on digital books exist or not?
My Answer:
I don't know if I would go so far as to think that the book cover is "dead" because we still have book covers on printed books, of which I adore. I do judge books by their covers, or maybe I simply judge the covers. When considering my own writing I get completely overwhelmed by the thought of what the cover of my book would look like (filled with the anxiety of thinking, "I hope it looks good!"). For the digital books, well, I own a Kindle and the moment I open a Kindle book I don't see the cover of the book. In fact, sometimes I have to go searching for it. It may be at the start of the book or at the 100% mark, either way it isn't readily available to me which makes me rather sad because I like book covers and I don't mind seeing them.

I feel that so long as there are print books there will be covers. Of course, this can open up another debate about whether or not print is dying - which I don't mean to discuss right now - but just to explain my opinion I will say that if print died this very day and there were no more printed copies of books then I would say, yes, book covers are dead since they apparently don't hold much weight in the digital world. However, even though I am a Kindle owner, I hope it doesn't come to that. I like to have my printed copies and my digital ones and I love book covers all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!