Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Reading Addiction Blog Tour: The House on Blackstone Moor


Synopsis:
“They say my father was mad, so corrupted by evil and tainted by sin that he did what he did. I came home to find them all dead; their throats savagely cut. My sisters only five and eight were gone as well as my brother who was twelve. My mother too lay butchered in her marriage bed. The bed her children were born in…”

Young Rose Baines discovers the savage murders of her family by her mad, incestuous father.
She is plunged into a nightmare of hell and is incarcerated in two madhouses after which she is helped to obtain a position as governess at Blackstone House.
The house is located on haunted moorland. Nothing is as it seems for Blackstone House and its inhabitants have hideous secrets. There is unimaginable horror there but there is love too--love that comes at a terrible price.
The story is as haunting as it is terrifying and will remain with the reader long after its disturbing tale has been told.
Review:
As my first Reading Addiction Blog Tour book I was really excited to begin reading The House on Blackstone Moor by Carole Gill. The synopsis sounds fascinating, doesn’t it? I found the book to be a fast read and easy to get through. Many times I was left from chapter to chapter completely unsure of what was going to happen next.

Now, I’ve never been to the UK but I love English (Scottish, Welsh, etc) accents. Sometimes while I read a book where the characters are meant to be from England I can’t hear the accent as I read the book. This novel, however, obtained that. The dialogue is fantastic. As I read about Rose and what she was going through, the story she was telling, I could clearly hear her voice (and accent) in my mind.

The very beginning of the novel was surprising and I had no idea where the book would go next. It was graphic and shocking to have a character, right at the start of the book, walk in to find her entire family dead. As mentioned in the synopsis Rose is brought to an insane asylum, which is an experience in itself. Each character that enters a scene I was unsure if I could trust or not. Whether Rose’s fragile mental state was influencing how others appeared around her or if they truly were untrustworthy. For some, my instincts proved to be accurate. For others, I was wrong. Either way I was always left wondering what would happen next rather than figuring it out; I hate when I can figure out what is going to happen to a book before it happens so this received double thumbs up from me.

But what was most surprising was that the book was not just consisting of the darkness around Rose from her family’s death or the asylum but the darkness formed in the very pits of hell. Fallen angels, demons, Satan and all forms of creatures of the dark come and go from this book leaving their influence casted over all.

My greatest issue with the book was the lack of proofreading or editorial adjustments. The story itself was interesting but there were many grammatical mistakes. A lack of punctuation was sprinkled through out the book along with spacing issues. With some fine-tuning I feel this book could be all the more stronger. A little more description of the surroundings and characters would be helpful for the reader to see the characters a little more clearly.

Otherwise, I am pleased to say that there are more books pertaining to this series. A deeper look into the romantic interest of Rose followed this book in the 2011 publication: I Vampire, a character whom I get the feeling I only know the surface of from Blackstone Moor.

If you have an interest in gothic romanticism; love, loss, darkness, heaven and hell, then please check out The House on Blackstone Moor.

Interested in reading this book? Purchase it from Amazon:
Amazon U.S.
Amazon U.K.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!