Monday, April 2, 2012

Musing Mondays - April 2nd

Hosted by Should Be Reading, this week's musing asks...

Do you belong to any book clubs — face-to-face, or online? If so, how long have you been with the group(s)? If not, why?

My Answer is:
No, I've never belonged to a book club in any form. I've never really had any interest to join. Now, seeing that my lack of interest has left me not even looking into a book club as a possible activity, I could have what book clubs do all wrong - forgive me if I do. But from what I understand, a book club will together pick out a book to read and then discuss it and I just can't do that. The moment a book becomes (what I see as) an assignment, I dislike it. Just about every book I was asked to read and discuss in my education I absolutely despised until I was able to reread the book on my own time. It's like my brain goes, "this is school work" and then I lock my mind off to any enjoyment of the book. Being with a group of people and having a book chosen for me to read would, I feel, be the same thing. My brain would lock off any enjoyment of the tale. I would like the aspect of discussing books I've read, though, and that's part of why I have a blog. When I read a book and I really want to talk about it I just think, "I wish I had a group of people to discuss this with," in which case I yearn for such a group. Who knows, maybe one day I'll find a book club to join and it will be the best decision of my life. I certainly do not judge anyone who does go to book clubs, I just don't believe it's the right fit for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!