Thursday, April 19, 2012

Booking Through Thursdays - April 19th


Brought to you by the site Booking Through Thursday, each Thursday readers are asked a question (mainly book related) and answers are shared.

This weeks question is: 
What are your literary “pet peeves”?

Answer:
When an author has a huge build up that takes forever and then you are left with a huge let down because it seems like the author just doesn't care. Such as one book I read (I won't name it because I don't want to give away the full plot to those who may not have read it) where one of the characters died. It was a huge deal, everyone was crying, and it was overall very emotional. Then during the last chapter which was only a page long it bluntly says that the character was alive. Now, you'd think I'd be happy that the character was alive since he was my favorite character, but I was annoyed by how it was handled. All of this talk and emotion and the last chapter seemed to be an afterthought, a last decision where the author was like, "Eh, I'm going to lose a lot of fans if I kill this character off, let me just write up 50 or so words that says he lives." I feel that it could have been handled so much better. That's my pet peeve. When author's don't give the effort to parts of books that should most definitely have effort placed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!