Thursday, March 22, 2012

Booking Through Thursday - March 22nd


Brought to you by the site Booking Through Thursday, each Thursday readers are asked a question (mainly book related) and answers are shared.

This weeks question is: 
Ever read a book you thought you could have written better yourself?

My Answer:
Yes! I'm so sorry, my friends and I joke that this is when I become a 'judgmental (former) bookseller/English major'. But it's true, there have been many books I've read and I've thought, "I could have written this so much better." But I think, really, my opinion more so stems on the thought of, "I wish I could have given the author tips on how to have written this so much better. This word doesn't work for this sentence, this scene should be cut, that scene needs more detail, and what is going on with this plot?" I feel so snarky and mean when I think this way but I also tell myself, I am an editor, so it's okay to feel that way! I know editing personal work is down right hard and I know my own work (literary or otherwise) can be riddled with repetition, spelling and grammar errors, and "what is she talking about's." That's the problem with writing. And as a writer, I always sit back and go, "I could have written that so much better" even if it's my own work! I'm highly judgmental of what I create so my guilt of judging other books, I think, comes from that. That author may be judging what they wrote as well and they don't need me adding to their possible negative opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!