Thursday, March 15, 2012

Booking Through Thursday - March 15th


Brought to you by the site Booking Through Thursday, each Thursday readers are asked a question (mainly book related) and answers are shared.

This weeks question is: 
Have you ever used a book to instruct someone of something or is there anyone for whom you would like to do that? (I don’t mean a text book for a class, but a work of fiction or non-fiction that would get a certain message across either through plot or character). What is the book and what do you wish to impart?

My Answer:
I'm sure there are many books that I would use to instruct but my mind-library is currently faulty because I just woke up. So, I'll go with the first book that came to mind: It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. I feel that the book deals with depression and mental illness in a way that isn't tacky but still funny. Yet, it is clear of the utter depths one will sink to while in such a predicament and what goes on within the mind of someone suffering. I am not categorizing depression into this book and saying all forms are the same, but I am saying that this gives a good idea of how desperate and alone a person could feel. For a person who has not suffered from depression or known a family member or friend to suffer, I feel that this book would be great to instruct what it's like and how it feels. There may be other books out there that do this job much more accurately than this, but until I read that book, I'll stick to this as my answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!