Monday, February 27, 2012

Musing Mondays - February 27th

Hosted by Should Be Reading, this week's musing asks...


• Do you read books that are part of a series?
• Do you collect all the books in the series before starting? What if the series is brand new, and the only book that’s been published so far is Book one? As subsequent books in the series are published, do you go back and re-read the preceding books?

My Reply:
I love to read books in a series. If this blog is any indication I do it a lot and I'd say that series' cover about half of my reading list. I usually buy the books as I go along because there have been times where I get tired of a series; the author does unspeakable things to the characters, their writing style changes, or I simply lose interest. While in High School I bought nearly all of the Anita Blake series only to later find out that my interest began to dry up for the series halfway through. I was left with all of these books that I didn't want to read (I later gave them to a family friend). The only time I'll go back and re-read the books in a series is if (1) it has been years since the last book was published and I need a refresher or (2) I just really love the books that much and can't get enough of them.

In the end, the series' that I decide to read are because I can't get enough of the storyline or characters. Often if I love a book I am left feeling let down when the book ends. What happened to my favorite characters? I don't want to let go! Give me more! And when there is a series of books I don't have to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!