Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Claire de Lune: Nocturne


The second book of the Claire de Lune tales (you can read about the first book here) presents Claire a short while after the first book was completed. This second book is once more easy to get into. It's not horribly hard to follow and I feel that someone could pick this book up and read it without having read the first book in the series. Keep in mind that I have this need to read books in order so to say that takes a lot of strength on my part!


Claire, our lovely werewolf girl, is still trying to find a way to balance her new life and the life of a teenage girl. There is a reason as to why most of the werewolves stay away from normal humans and only use men to reproduce. She's left with the weight of needing to be initiated into the pack or being seen as an incomplete wolf (one who is unable to perform the most "normal" tasks as a wolf) but her relationship with her boyfriend and best friend is faltering steadily.

I enjoyed the changes between Claire and her best friend. If you were to face such a change in your life that you have to keep completely secret from your best friend of years... wouldn't your best friend notice the change? Would they question what is happening to you? Of course! And that just leads to more stress for Claire. Not to mention that her best friend (Emily) is making friends with another girl (Amy) who seems to know what Claire's secret is.

Why not throw in the stress and drama of Claire's seemingly fragile relationship with her boyfriend Matthew (who gets all the cookies in the world for dealing with his werewolf girlfriend with more grace than I think I would be able to) and you have a typical teen drama with a hairy problem. I honestly found the dramatics of the werewolf pack to be more interesting than her teen life troubles but maybe it's because her teen problems are so typical. Not that it is a bad thing necessarily, but it was something I wasn't willing to read about during the time I read this book. I must give credit where credit is due though: Matthew is taken by his girlfriend, surely, but he is still weary and a little stressed over what his girlfriend is. He isn't just throwing himself blindly into this supernatural relationship and confessing undying love. He's a teenager who is a little freaked out about the situation but trying to keep his cool.

The book isn't very heavy in the mystery or scenes that leave you breathless or on the edge of your seat. So if you are looking for something that is suspenseful, this is not the book for you. It's a very easy book and somewhat typical for the high school setting but it is still enjoyable to read if you are looking for something that is simple and relaxing. Something to read in a course of a day between books or while traveling. While it may not be the best writing I still intend on continuing with the series. It's best (in my opinion) to read different books and keep variety in my life and I feel it allows me to better compare one book to others. I keep hearing that there will be another book although I haven't found anything about it. If there is another book, I'll probably read it. It's great to read during my breaks at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!