Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Guest Post: This Is Where I Leave You

Hi all! I’m Amanda, from Amanda’s Musings. While I don’t run a specifically book related blog, I do read. A lot. I’m also an English Lit major, which adds to the time I spend reading.

I recently finished “This Is Where I Leave You” by Jonathan Tropper. While I’m pretty sure this book was all the rage last year, I’m sometimes slow getting around to things.

That being said, Tropper’s novel is a wonderful one. It’s one of the funniest, saddest, happiest, most depressing books I’ve ever read, and no, that won’t make sense until you pick it up for yourself.

Judd is forced to return to his childhood home after the death of his father, whose dying wish was for his family to sit Shiva. For the Foxman family, seven days spent with everyone under the same roof may very well be their undoing.

Judd recently found his wife having an affair with his boss. Phillip is the family screw up. Paul blames Judd for ruining his chance at college sports and the opportunities it would have afforded him. Alice just wants a baby. And on it goes.

“This Is Where I Leave You” is an absolute gem of a novel. Tropper’s ability to dissect the familial relationship is almost scary – I saw threads of my own family within the walls of the Foxman home. I was taken by complete surprise by the sheer truth of the words on the pages, and loved every time it happened. Families are far from perfect (all of them). But your family is also your home – sometimes whether you want it to be or not.

"We all start out so damn sure, thinking we've got the world on a string. If we ever stopped to think about the infinite number of ways we could be undone, we'd never leave our bedrooms." – This Is Where I Leave You

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!