Friday, August 26, 2011

Earthquakes, Hurricanes, and Selling Books, Oh My!

I keep vanishing and for that I apologize. You know that term, when it rains, it pours? That's been happening for the majority of this year. We all know of previous issues but more have arrived.

But the good news is that I have a fancy new job and I love it. I'm very busy between work and getting my life squared away. Trying to play grown up and all that.

This week has been rather eventful. My area felt the much talked about East Coast earthquake. Now, for those who do not live in the East Coast, understand that we don't typically receive earthquakes. This is only the second one I've ever felt in my lifetime. It wasn't horrendous, more amusing because I thought my car was breaking down (my mother thought it was the washer), but it was still talked about because it's such a rare event. And it was strong enough to put a crack in a bridge I cross over to get to work. Now that was fun, being literally two minutes from my job and being told I had to turn around and find another way to it because they were afraid the bridge would collapse (it didn't, btw). And it messed up cellular service so I couldn't call my job to say I would be late.

This can be considered my 'earthquake picture', only because I took it the day of.


Now we're due for the biggest hurricane we've ever received in my life time. The most unnerving part of all this is that my friends are being evacuated from the coast. I, luckily, am far enough inland to not be affected with the evacuations but we're still in for a hellish weekend. And I need to get my car fixed at some point during this hurricane. Ah, bad timing is bad.

In other news, I am on a minimalist kick. I want to downgrade as much of my belongings and part of that is... books. I love books. I love reading. We all know this but I feel the need to remind you before I continue. I have about 20 books sitting on my floor awaiting a trip to my favorite used book store. I'll be selling them to the store so that, hopefully, someone else will buy them and enjoy them as much as I have since owning them. But wow, so many books! I went through my book shelves and considered each one. What ones have I read and intend on reading again? What ones will I return to in search of quotes? What ones are 'classics' that maybe, one day, my children will have to read in school? If I answered 'not this one' for any of the books I took them off the shelves. It's given me so much room for my ever changing book collection.



So besides the real life issues, saving for a plane ticket to visit family in Florida, car troubles, nature kicking our butt, and work- I have been reading. I've been flying through a book series and I hope to actually (gasp) provide you all with some type of book reviews in the future! You know, after I finish reading this series and we aren't being pummeled with bad weather.

I hope you're all doing well. I'm sorry for the lack of posts. And if you happen to be in the line of this hurricane, stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!