Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Common Sense

Another freebie for Kindle users (and I'm assuming other e-readers) is Common Sense. Now, this was something I've always heard about but never did anything with. It was something that had to do with America, something that was important, something that some kids had to read in class. Whatever. My attention span for it all ended there.

Of course that changed when I realized I could get Common Sense for free. That seems to be the start of many instances where I'm reading things I never thought I would. Point for e-readers? I think so.

Common Sense was written by Thomas Paine and published in 1776. It's a declaration of sorts that American's should demand independence from Great Britain. The argument that Paine raises is, at times, humorous. He lists every reason the citizens should listen to him in a rather explanatory way. A school teacher would be proud.

Now this wasn’t any type of a ‘story’ but more based on fact and opinion. It might not have a plot, it is very much just an argument, but the significance of Common Sense is great- especially for American’s and even Great Britain. Now, it’s not like I’m going to go back and read this again. I am that person who really likes plots and political complaints and demands sort of bore me. But I don’t regret the time I spent reading this because it’s a piece of my history.

Add the fact that you can get it for free and it’s fantastic and worth the read. You really have no excuse now. So hop to it and see how people wrote opinionated papers over two hundred years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!