Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Green Living

This is old news for some, new for others, but I’m gluten and dairy free due to allergies that I discovered a few years ago. When I decided to stop eating gluten I entered a world that I knew very little about. I started to learn what organic living was about and take a little more care of how I treated myself and the environment around me.

I am by no means completely knowledgeable of green living although I’m happy to say I know a little bit more about the effect we have on the environment now than I did a few years ago and I’m taking active steps towards a better way of life.

I came across Green Living at my favorite used bookstore and figured… why not? A nice concise book discussing all of the different ways you can start to live green. What is living green? I think the best way to describe it is that when you’re living green you make the smallest mark on the environment as you can. You also are essentially not putting anything on or in your body that shouldn’t be there. It’s like the ultimate version of being healthy.

Each topic is broken down into easy chapters- how to have your children live green, how to have a house that is green, what you should and shouldn’t do for bodily cleanser products. The list goes on and to my joy each chapter was easy to read. You just have to keep it simple when I’m a newbie with something. Catch my interest, explain the pros and cons and I’ll likely stick with it.

This book is slightly outdated having been published in 2005. I didn’t become gluten free until 2009 and at that time there was so few organic options in the grocery stores of my area that I had always assumed that ‘green living’ hadn’t really started to get a hold on society until a few years ago. Little did I know that it’s been a pretty strong way of life for many years.

What I read was all generally eye opening. I know the positives to eating healthy but when it comes to all of the other factors in life I’m kind of in the dark. Well, this book certainly helped shed some light on the situations we are living in and adding to.

Despite it being out of date I think it would be a book people should read if they want a quick go-to guide about living green. It also includes helpful companies and websites that can help you on your adventure to having a more environmentally friendly lifestyle. Then take more steps towards a better living and read other books, there are a tong on the subject out there and they’re all worth a chance to check over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!