Monday, June 27, 2011

Children Book Picks

Two books I've read on my Kindle (which I got for free!) are perfect for parents to read to their children before bedtime.

Charlotte Bronte Herr's children's book The Wise Mamma Goose and Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know were entertainment for me while we were without internet after some severe storms. Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know (which you can get for free on your Kindle and I am assuming for other ereaders) is a nice compact book that really does have all of the classic fairy tales. Many I've read before but some were new to me and enjoyable to pick up. Our culture has fairy tale references sprinkled all over the place so why not have your child be a part of it?

The Wise Mamma Goose is pretty adorable as well. I mean, when I was a kid I got a kick out of any barn yard stories. I don't know why but the idea of chickens and geese being able to talk was exciting to me. I lived for that stuff. This book features some problem solving and a cute pooch to boot.

Then, after work one day, I stopped into a book store and discovered.... Instructions by Neil Gaiman... I can't get enough of Neil Gaiman. Who could? He's a fantastic author and when he reads his books aloud, oh my goodness, he has the perfect reader voice. I won't deny that I was incredibly excited to see he had a new children's book out and even more excited when I discovered it was a guide of sorts for fairy tale adventures. Apparently this was taken from another book? But I don't really care, this is a new publication with beautiful illustrations. It's sort of like the mystical version of Oh! The Places You'll Go but even better because this would have hit home for me as a child. I grew up in some place that was between reality and imagination, everything and anything was possible and I would have devoured a book that essentially helps you along on your magical quests. Tips of where to turn, what to look out for, who to trust and how to defeat the bad things. And you know what is the best thing about it? Many of the stories you'll read in Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know are referred to in this book! It's wonderful, magical, and made me return to my childhood for a brief moment.

Don't believe me? Check out the book trailer and beautiful illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!