Monday, May 30, 2011

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

I read The Hunger Games (book 1) a couple of years ago before the following two books were available. I adored the book, was totally sucked into the plot, fell deeply in love with the characters, and was eager to find out what happened next.

The original book kept me on my toes and I never really knew what was going to happen. But Catching Fire blew me out of the water. This book just didn’t stop. Everywhere you looked there was a new shocking piece of information, a new shocking plot twist, and I was clinging on to the ride with wide eyes and my jaw dropped.

Now picture this: I’m at tutor and where I work I sit at a table with another tutor. She and I entertain ourselves until a student comes along who needs help. How do I typically entertain myself? I read. Catching Fire was read at work during slow points and obsessively so. I slumped down in my chair, the book getting closer and closer to my face as I quickly read over each page, and occasionally I’d slam my Kindle down and gasp, “Oh my gosh I can’t believe that just happened!” That’s how the entire book went for me. Continuously I would be flailing over what I was reading and then I’d dive deeper into the book, speed-reading my way forward so I could see what would happen. It’s just that great.

Spoilers from this point on:
Peeta was always my favorite character. While I enjoyed Katniss because she’s a tough female in a world where YA female characters are always dependent on others, she takes charge and makes rash decisions. She gets angry and impulsive and maybe emotional every now and then, but she’s brave. She’s tough. And I would not want to get on her bad side. But Peeta? Peeta has always been my favorite and always been the character I feel I would get along with. I just friggen love him. Gale? Eh, he’s ok. When I first read The Hunger Games I had been unsure of Peeta through most of it. I didn't know if I could trust him or not but, if I were to trust him, I liked him. Once I knew that the trust was earned I really began to enjoy him.

But the relationship between Peeta and Katniss had me, once more, so on edge. I shipped these two so much and they seemed to really progress during this book. They became so much closer to one another and I just wanted Katniss to realize that she loved Peeta!

The fact that the book took such a twist as to bring all of the victors into the Hunger Games once more threw me so much. The creatures in the game, the ever changing arena, it was a mess and I didn't know what was coming next. But isn't that the great thing about a well written book? The author gives nothing away and all that you do, all that you guess, you're still surprised by the end.

I flew through this book as quickly as I could (despite that I did, after all, have work to contend with). As mentioned in an early post during this month... my life kind of threw up in my face. A lot of drama happened all at once and I was very unsteady and unstable. This book served as such a great distraction. For the first time in weeks I was completely immersed in another world and I had a break from the troubles my real life had given me. It gave my brain a chance to relax for a bit and concentrate on something else.

So, rock on Hunger Games, rock on Catching Fire. I won't lie- I think I liked this book more than the first and it killed me when it ended... however, I was lucky because I had Mockingjay waiting for me and I started it immediately after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!