Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Guest Post: A Little Bit Wicked

Guest Blogger: Brandon
Writing About: Kristin Chenoweth's A Little Bit Wicked


Hello, My name is Brandon and I am what can only be described as a South Korean, trapped in an American's body. I was adopted through Catholic Charities and raised in Baltimore by my parents who helped form me into the man I am today. I love to listen, or to hear people's stories either face to face of through films and books. I first found this obsession while reading Sir Ken Robinson's "The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything". Since then I have crammed every Malcolm Gladwell and enjoyed books like "Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls and "Easy Rider, Raging Bull" by Peter Biskind.

When I was first told that one of my favorite actors has written a book called “A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages” I may have knocked over a few things to get to my computer to order this book. I am of course speaking of Kristin Chenoweth, who has some hardware in the award case for her roles in “You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown” and “Pushing Daisies”.

I want to start with this note. I not only read books but I also listen to them during my commute to the office. If you question the idea of listening to a book over reading it, this is one of many books I suggest. Kristin reads the book herself and her energy and emotions come through the reading. As suggested by the title, this autobiography focuses on Kristin’s life, loves, and faith which is fairly predominant in her life. And of course her amazingly popular sitcom “Kristin”.

I am a sucker for motivational and inspirational type books and this book is no exception. Kristin comes across as the good old girl, modest and a little quirky. There is so much to take in from this read that I really don’t know where to start. For someone that is so accomplished in what they do, it’s interesting reading about what went wrong in their journey, and why those things were the best events in their life.

As Kristin takes the reader through her life there is a lot to be said about her faith in good things happening, her love of music and family. The stories are heartfelt and add humility though the good and bad times and how this two time pageant second runner up made it to Broadway and Hollywood.

Kristin has a very different outlook on being a Christian. When I say different, I do not mean weird or strange, I mean LOGICAL. Her stories were not all serious, to be quite honest, it is quite the opposite. There is just something about a person who can laugh about the events of the past especially when it involves mild humiliation and hair tumors.

Coming to the second half of the book we get to Wicked but there really wasn’t as much as I expected. There are so many stories that sometimes they seem rushed. This is a little bit of a problem for me in the audio book but I can see how that wouldn’t come across in the book. I think the book balances between life and work pretty good and I think the stories get funnier as the book goes on.

I am kind of taken back by how much she lingers on The West Wing and Aaron Sorkin. Her description of The West Wing experience is nothing less then a family. As a HUGE fan of the show It is just as wonderful as I expected. Yet another reason to try out the audiobook is a Sorkin cameo when it goes into their relationship and experiences through productions like Studio 60.

One thing I was not expecting was the better part of chapter one being about her adoption. Wait, What? This caught me off guard and as I read on I think there were several points where I teared up a bit. I have never heard someone with such a similar beginning and a solid understanding on how they feel about their family and biological family.


Check out more about Brandon at his website: newrevmedia.tv. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!