Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Book of Tomorrow

For about a year now I’ve had a copy of P.S. I Love You sitting on my bookshelf. I have had the best intentions to read this book however there are about 8 more books on that shelf alone I haven’t read yet. Let’s not even get started on how many unread books I have elsewhere in this house. But when I was offered to read The Book of Tomorrow prior to its release I jumped at the chance.

This is a book geared towards ADULTS. Allow me to state that first and foremost. It seems some people who have read the book have that confused. Not all books that have a teenage protagonist is meant for teenage eyes. However, I find this book to be appropriate for teenagers if they are mature enough to handle it’s content.

Tamara Goodwin has been raised to trust a number of things: She is sixteen, her father is rich, and she will get what she wants. Tamara is a rebellious teenager who smokes and drinks on a regular basis, sneaks out, and is generally very rude to her parents (and likely everyone else). She admits right away that she isn’t nice but she promises to prove that she is better than the first impression we are given.

When her father dies Tamara’s life is flipped. Gone are the days of being spoiled and doing as she pleases. No longer can she have a vibrant social life. She is, in her mind, condemned to the wasteland of Ireland. Specifically- her uncle and aunts home in the country that is beside the remains of Kilsaney Castle.

Dealing with grief and the confusion of her mother’s sudden spiral into depression Tamara is lonely, bored, and itching for excitement. The excitement comes from the most unexpected places when she finds an old diary on a library mobile (traveling library… I feel like no one has heard of these, am I that removed from society that I know of this stuff?). At first she thinks it’s just an old book but something makes her cling to it. Then she discovers it has already been written in- with her own hand- a diary entry of the next day. The diary is written by Future-Tamara and Present-Tamara tries to use this discovery in whatever ways she can.

The book opens up doors Tamara had never seen before. She becomes a stronger person and more passionate about the feelings of others. What’s more is she discovers information about herself that she never knew.

I really hated Tamara when I began to read this. Through the first couple of chapters I kept pausing and going, “Wow. I can NOT believe this girl. She’s such a wench.” Typically when I hate the main character I find it very hard to make it through the story but this moved along quickly and held my interest. Tamara does grow and change for the better however the last quarter of the book really grabbed me. Secrets, love, loss, and all of that. Really I enjoyed the way the book came to a close. I went into the book hating the character but I closed it’s final pages feeling that I could appreciate the character and understand her a little more. Her voice was strong and there was a lot of wit, even in the beginning when I didn’t like Tamara she would get me laughing, and the visual I had of the Kilsaney Castle and summer in Ireland was much nicer than the snowy tundra I have outside my window.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!