Monday, November 29, 2010

The Snowman

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who had the joy of experiencing The Snowman when I was a child. The book, done by Raymond Briggs, has no words- but no words are needed. Each page is covered by a series of drawings depicting a little boy who wakes up on a snowy morning and builds none other than a snowman.

But it's the magic that the snowman brings which grasps a child's imagination. I would spend hours in the snow as a child and build the biggest snowman that I could possibly muster. Even in college my friends and I would still go outdoors to build snowmen around our campus. But I remember clearly being small and building snowmen, focusing on their shape, concentrating on what type of wood chips or coal I would use for their facial features. I would stand back with pride and I would wish they were real.

Raymond Briggs, in this children's picture book that was published originally in the 1970's, focuses on that dream of a child in snow. The little boys snowman does come to life! He does move and react and befriends the child. And what's better yet but the snowman, made of a substance that can float and fly through the air when in its loose form, takes to the sky with the little boy and they see the world.

Each picture is simplistic yet so interesting. As a child I would look at each photo and study it, wishing that my snowmen would wake up. There is also a cartoon movie of the book, no words (aside from an introduction), just music and artwork. Here is one of my most favorite scenes of the movie/book:



If you are considering a winter-themed book for your child do look for this book. While the movie features a Christmas tree and Santa Claus the book does not, it is entirely winter themed and can be enjoyed by anyone of any religious faith. Experience the childhood magic.

  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...