Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

As previously mentioned, we celebrated Thanksgiving on Saturday (the 20th). My father will be gone for Thanksgiving and this is an easy way to celebrate the holiday together.

What is Thanksgiving though? Originally a celebration of the winter Native Americans and Pilgrims shared food together. And, well, we all know what happened to the Native Americans. I don't like Thanksgiving as a celebration of that moment, sorry. But- I do picture Thanksgiving as an opportunity to gather as a family and look over all that we have. To truly be thankful. 

Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Outside a Restaurant
November 21, 2010

I have lived through winters where we didn't have enough money to buy our own food or to purchase clothes. We depended on the generosity of others and I have always thought of that when we have our Thanksgiving spread. Even though I will break down and complain about my life it's all more or less trivial because it could always be worse. 

So my Thanksgiving dinner might not have been today... it doesn't mean anything. It was still Thanksgiving in my house because we all came together, were thankful for the bountiful harvest, and enjoyed each others company. 
Thanksgiving Dinner
Oliver, the cat, included.

Now on the day that everyone else celebrates the holiday my mother and I have the fire going WHILE IT'S SNOWING OUTSIDE!!!! and we're watching my beloved Macy's Day Parade.
Oliver does not approve. 

I'll cook shrimp and make a big dinner with glasses of wine and in the evening we'll watch Christmas movies with the cat near by. 

For all of you reading this, I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving and all the luck you've had this past year. Enjoy the food and family time, there are others who aren't as lucky as we. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...