Monday, November 22, 2010

Guest Review: It's Kind of a Funny Story

During the month of November I will be featuring a series of book reviews done by different writers. Aside from this introduction- everything will be written by the guest reviewer. Please enjoy and dive into some books I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on yet! - Erica

Guest Reviewer: Amanda

Hey guys! I’m honored to be posting here on Soon Remembered Tales today! My name is Amanda, and I blog over at Amanda’s Musings (http://amandaleeann.blogspot.com) on a somewhat regular basis. I’m an English major, and read all the time. At first, I didn’t know what book I wanted to review - I had so many to choose from! Then I realized I should tell you about It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini.

Yes, the movie just came out. No, that’s not why I read the book. I found it sitting on a bookshelf in Borders at least a year ago. I thought “this sounds interesting” and it came home with me. Where it sat on my shelf until a couple of weeks ago when I realized I should read it.

According to the blurb from The New York Times Book Review on the cover, “this is an important book.” And I agree with them wholeheartedly. The main character in the story, Craig Gilner is overwhelmed with school and battling depression, all while trying to convince his friends he’s completely normal. He tells himself that "depression isn't a disease. It's a pretext for being a prima donna. Everybody knows that." Unfortunately, the fa├žade shatters early one morning and after calling the suicide hotline, he checks himself into the hospital. Depression is an issue that is more prevalent than we would like to think. There is a history of depression in my family, and I’ve seen firsthand how it can affect a person’s life and the lives of those around them. It’s not easy to live with, but as Craig comes to find out, it IS doable. And not only is it doable, it’s desirable. If you read the book, I don't want to ruin the last pages, but Craig writes "Make a phone call. Open a Door. Ride your bike. Ride in a car. Ride in a subway. Talk. Talk to people. Read. Read maps" and his list just goes on. I will tell you this: the last word in the book is live, and it is entirely perfect.

This book is easy to read, and paced in a way so that it doesn't feel like you're reading a book about depression. I laughed, and I cried, but I do not regret reading this book one bit. I plan on reading the other books by this author as well, as soon as I make some progress with my "to-read" stack :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...