Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Guest Review: If I Stay

During the month of November I will be featuring a series of book reviews done by different writers. Aside from this introduction- everything will be written by the guest reviewer. Please enjoy and dive into some books I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on yet! - Erica

Guest Reviewer: Elyse

Hi! I'm Elyse from over at Elysie Piecie's Peace of Mind. When I heard Erica was looking for guest bloggers I jumped all over that opportunity. I thought about many books that I wanted to share with ya'll, but the one that stuck in my mind was If I Stay.




If I Stay revolves around Mia, a seventeen year old cellist, whose life is turned upside down one day when she finds herself in a coma. Confusion ensues as to the events surrounding the coma, but Mia slowly pieces it together while stuck in the world in between. Ultimately, Mia is faced with the decision of whether or not to stay and most importantly, if there is anything worth staying alive for.

If I Stay combines some of my favorite elements in life: music, teen angst, and the supernatural. It has been a while since I've had a book like this move me so deeply. Gayle Forman has beautifully lined the book with musical overtones (i.e. Mia's boyfriend, Adam, is in a band, and Mia is a classically trained cellist prodigy), which provides a haunting soundtrack to the novel. Forman also excels in making the reader question what is important in their own life. It makes you wonder for yourself, if you had the choice...what would you stay for?

PS: Just a head's up, Summit, has bought the rights to If I Stay and has teamed up with Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight, Lords of Dogtown, Thirteen) to bring this movie to the silver screen 2011. So keep your eye out for it. Also the sequel to If I Stay, Where She Went, comes out in Spring of 2011 as well.