Monday, November 15, 2010

Guest Review: The Debt to Pleasure

During the month of November I will be featuring a series of book reviews done by different writers. Aside from this introduction- everything will be written by the guest reviewer. Please enjoy and dive into some books I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on yet! - Erica

Guest Reviewer: Ray


Despite that Halloween has just passed, I decided to go with a book that isn’t scary on the outside but once you get inside, is frightening.


First, a little bit about me. I’m a 35 year old husband and father of two little boys. I’m a writer (you can find my books at our website www.cwbooks.net and the co-founder of Christopher Williams Books, a publisher of fine ebooks. I’m a life-long reader and lover of music, movies, and comic books.

But enough about me...

This would be one of those books that I bought because of the cover. I’ll admit it. It has this wonderful still life painting of a bowl of fruit. I loved the picture so much I bought the book. And began to read one of the most amazing and frightening stories of my life.

Debt to Pleasure is a memoir (of sorts) told to you by a man who loves food. He actually presents the story as a cookbook, telling the reader what to make in what seasons. Lancaster begins to hint at something unseemly under the surface when the narrator starts to mention that pretty-much every person who has ever given him a recipe or was part of his life is now dead. Yeah, that was the point where this book about food became something much more interesting. And much darker.

I would highly suggest this brilliant first novel for anyone who is looking for something different than the usual fare being forced upon you by publishers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...