Thursday, November 4, 2010

Guest Review: Belong to Me

During the month of November I will be featuring a series of book reviews done by different writers. Aside from this introduction- everything will be written by the guest reviewer. Please enjoy and dive into some books I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on yet! - Erica

Guest Reviewer: Ray

I have a confession to make: this is yet another book I bought because of the cover. The galoshes just sitting by the door got me! I had to pick the book up... and fell in love with it.


First, a little bit about me. I’m a 35 year old husband and father of two little boys. I’m a writer (you can find my books at our website www.cwbooks.net) and the co-founder of Christopher Williams Books, a publisher of fine ebooks. I’m a life-long reader and lover of music, movies, and comic books.


But enough about me...

Belong to Me is actually a sequel, of sorts. I didn’t find this until I was half-way through the novel so I thought in the spirit of full disclosure, I would tell you that first. It’s a sequel in that it includes characters from her first book, Love Walked In. Now, I say of-sorts because her first book is good. But somewhere between Love Walked In and Belong to Me, she went from being a good writer to a fantastic writer. So I say, you can start with Love Walked In and get to know the gang from the start or you can leap in to Belong to Me and suss out what happened before on your own. Either way, you are going to be very happy.

Belong to Me is a wonderful collection of characters whose paths connect in a small suburb of Philadelphia. You are introduced to people you love right off the bat. And those you hate. I have never in my history of reading had a character I disliked so much as Piper be the one I loved as much in the end. De Los Santos is truly an author to learn from in the way she handles her characters. Also, in the way that she handles the relationship between teenagers and adults. The two teen main characters are handled so deftly and infused with such care and life that I was utterly amazed by this author of just two books. She could have given us the usual caricatures of a teenager but instead introduced to two fully realized teenagers that left me speechless.

I’m not one to give too much of the plot away so I’m going to leave that to you to find on the back of the book or on the Amazon page. Just know that you are in good hands if Marisa De Los Santos is behind the wheel. Sorry for the bad metaphor.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...