Monday, November 8, 2010

Guest Review: The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

During the month of November I will be featuring a series of book reviews done by different writers. Aside from this introduction- everything will be written by the guest reviewer. Please enjoy and dive into some books I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on yet! - Erica

Guest Reviewer: Ray

So I wanted to get a review of this done before Aidan beat me to it. He loves Kavalier and Clay as much as I do and he’s a much better reviewer. Ha, I got here first!



So, a little bit about me. I’m a 35 year old husband and father of two little boys. I’m a writer (you can find my books at our website www.cwbooks.net) and the co-founder of Christopher Williams Books, a publisher of fine ebooks. I’m a life-long reader and lover of music, movies, and comic books.

But enough about me...

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay won the Pulitzer. But don’t hold that against it.

This is a fantastic novel about two cousins in the late 1930s who start writing and drawing comic books in the infancy of the medium. One is a Jewish refugee who has recently escaped the Nazis and the other is a Brooklyn kid dreaming big dreams. They start creating a comic book about The Escapist and using this infant medium to fight the Nazis in their own way.

While presenting a plot that seems fantastical at parts, Chabon’s writing keeps it grounded and realistic as these two young men take out their frustrations with the world in the funny pages, meet real-life icons like Salvador Dali and Stan Lee, and find out that life is infinitely more difficult and complex than the world of comic books.