Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Am Number Four: Lorien Legacies #1


Wow.


Months ago I had a chance to read this book when it was just an advanced readers copy. I was going to grab hold of it, take it home, dive into it. But before I had the chance the book vanished. In September the book was finally on the market and suddenly there is a movie being made, due to release in the near future.

Can I say wow again? Because I just did. A book that has only been on the shelf for a month and already they have a movie adaptation of it? Awesome!

I'm not big on the legit scifi stuff. Aliens, space travel, shape-shifting? No, no, I've been a vampire girl since I was 12 and I suspect I always be. That's as into fantasy as I get and everything else generally doesn't interest me. But this book... this book was incredibly hard to put down. I carried it with me and while at work kept thinking, "Oh please, I just want to read this book." While tutoring at the areas college I wanted to tell my students, forget about that homework assignment and lets talk about this awesome book I'm reading. Of course I didn't do that, but the thought was there.

The planet Lorien has been attacked and destroyed. The only hope for the race of Lorien people are nine children who were sent to earth with their guardians to grow, develop their 'legacies' (powers), and potentially reestablish their race on their planet all while battling against the opposing race who took over and destroyed their planet.

The Lorien people look just like us and have nearly the same language. They're incredibly intelligent and live longer then humans of this earth. John, the main character of this book who is also known within his Lorien terminology as Number Four, is within the group of children. Nine children, all bound by a spell that prevents the opposing aliens from killing them only in their numbered order. Numbers one through three have been killed- number four, John, is next.

On the run with his guardian Henri, John finds himself in Ohio where he finally establishes some form of  a normal human life. But his death is close at hand unless he does something, unless he prepares to fight.

This book grabbed hold of me in so many ways. The characters were interesting and despite that I generally read books where the main character is female the fact that John was a male didn't bother me in the slightest. He was engaging and his struggles with being from out of this world were understandable. My emotions were brought into the plot. I felt the excitement, fear, anger, and heartbreak just as John did.

My heart was left running when the book ended. I wanted more, I still want more, and I need it soon. Luckily, the next book is due to come out this coming year. But I don't know if that is soon enough. I feel that this series, written under the pseudonym of Pittacus Lore (the real authors are Jobie Hughes and James Frey, "A Million Little Pieces"), is going to blow the previous teen obsessions out of the water. And this time, it's going to take male fans with it.

Check out the movie preview below


Now go read the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!