Saturday, July 31, 2010

Write Fifteen Minutes a Day Challenge

Laurie Halse Anderson, the notable author of many historic fiction books for children and teens, created something rather wonderful: Write Fifteen Minutes a Day during the month of August. As she does, we'll call it WFMAD.

It's somewhat like NaNoWriMo (which I feel EVERYONE should try at least once in their lives) except not quite so insane. Instead of trying to basically write out an entire novel within one month this concept is a little easier to accomplish: fifteen minutes of writing for 31 days.

What's so wonderful about this is because nearly every creative writing tips out there proclaim that one should write- a lot. Every day get some writing done so that the creative juices keep flowing and I certainly agree. It's a lot easier to get words down on paper (or in my case, Microsoft Word) if you're familiar with taking out a piece of paper (or opening a document), grabbing a pen (or adjusting your keyboard), and writing.

So I ask you all, will you do it? Will you try and write fifteen minutes a day?

I'm going to give it a shot, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!