Saturday, July 31, 2010

Love Sucks!

When receiving this book in the mail I wasn't sure what to think of it. First, I had not read the first book, Bite Me!, and this appeared to be a follow up. Second, how many more vampire love stories do I have to read about? Third... well, I don't know.

Anyway, I picked up the book and blew through it in one evening. It was a ridiculously quick read, probably due to the easy language and not so hard to figure out plot line. Don't take this as a negative remark, you don't always have to read books that are at the level of War and Peace, sometimes a girl just wants some enjoyable easy reading. But I was really begrudging this book before I even started it until I read through the first page.

To my surprise it was actually very humorous. I like my vampires to be dark, seductive, serious, and possibly experiencing inner turmoil. But I did not realize that I was craving vampires that shed their night creature persona in exchange for a more normal life. The characters, no matter if they are vampire or warlock, are capable of interacting with one another in the most normal and human-like of ways.

As noted, one of my main concerns was that I had never read the first book by Melissa Francis, but I was able to settle myself into this book rather quickly and enjoy the story line without getting too confused. It's really hard to find a series where you can hop around from book to book without being perplexed or disappointed.

AJ Ashe is left preparing for a new arrival to her paranormal Brady Bunch Family but she also has to contend with an unfortunately sexy professional vampire trainer. All the while being chased around by creepy nasty things that don't exactly want to be friends with her. It's not very often that I enjoy the entire family in a book. Usually there is that one person who just ticks me off. However, I didn't find that with Francis' book. I really enjoyed all characters marked as 'good'.

I have to admit it, for the past week I've been in a reading slump. No interest to read a book what so ever. But to my surprise, Love Sucks! brought me out of that slump and back to my more constant reading level. While this book might not be of my top interests (I am tired of vampire romances) if it was capable of stirring my imagination and bringing me back into the reading world then I applaud it.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!