Monday, June 7, 2010

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella

Fans of The Twilight Saga will be enthralled by this riveting story of Bree Tanner
So begins the description of the Bree Tanner novella (I'm not including the title, way too long). However, this statement falls short. I wasn't enthralled and I didn't find it to be a riveting story. I was expecting to come away from the book laughing at Stephenie Meyer, having new fuel for my fiery dislike of her writing capabilities and plot set ups. In all actuality, I found her writing to be better in this novella. Although I'm not sure if that's because it's from Bree's POV and not Bella. If you dislike the main character you'll have a tendency to dislike the book. I felt for the character Bree, I wished she could be saved, but I never had hatred for her when I read Eclipse either. I always felt that she was a poor kid who was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time- this novella proved my opinion to be true.

The plot line still kind of sucked... I was bored with the book. Despite liking Bree there was too much of casual 'do this and then we'll do that' for the majority of the piece. I wish there was more depth, not that I was expecting there to be. I struggled my way through it, continuously thinking of the other books I'm reading and how much I'd rather be reading those books then this. It was a slow read- which is bad considering the book was under 200 pages.

With the Twilight Saga I could go for days complaining about her form of writing, all of the 'rules' she breaks, and how terrible a character Bella is. It stirs annoyance in me, an emotion, it means that there is enough in that book to create emotion in people- good or bad. But this book? Well, aside from feeling bad for the main character Bree and being slightly surprised at the teenage crushing that seemed to go on for a small while in the book, I was otherwise left feeling emotionless.

I can't scream from the rooftops about how wonderful this book is and I can't grumble under my breath about how it sucked. For me, it wasn't wonderful but it wasn't terrible by any means. I do feel that Meyer's writing abilities truly progressed in this book compared to her past novels. And I always appreciate any type of writing where you take a former character in a story and tell their life, from their eyes, it adds to the element. I'm just finding myself to be generally emotionless about this book. I doubt it will stick with me, I doubt I'll think of it much after I bring it back to my job. Bravo Meyer for advancing in your writing, but maybe you should stick to fuller novels where you can produce more emotion from your readers.

Out of five stars, I'd give this book two... just because I'm so emotionless towards it. I do, however, appreciate that there is a dollar donation to the Red Cross for the purchase of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!