Sunday, May 9, 2010

Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict

A year ago I read Laurie Viera Rigler's first book Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict and now I have her second in my grips. You can read my review on her first book here.

Riglers first novel presented the tale of Courtney Stone, 21st century woman who just went through a broken engagement, and how she wakes one morning to find herself in the body of Jane Mansfield- a gentleman's daughter from the year 1813. Now Riglers second novel follows Jane Mansfield when she finds herself in the 21st century.

It leaves one to wonder what a person from the past if suddenly thrown into a different time. The world is completely different from now to, say, the 1950's. Having a woman of the early 19th century being placed in the 21st is mind boggling and understandably amusing.

The biggest interest I found in this novel was the presence of feminine power. Jane is used to a time where she must have a chaperon- even though she is well into adulthood- a time where women have two job choices- to be a wife or to teach. Women had absolutely no power nor control over their own lives.

One could assume that Jane would experience complete liberation but she is quick to discover that the present does not necessarily mean women have complete control- especially when it comes to romantic relationships. Even friendships can appear to be somewhat controlling.

All in all I found that I enjoyed this novel much more than Rigler's first. Not to say her first isn't good! Really, the two books go hand in hand. You shouldn't read one without reading the other. But I enjoyed Jane's character better than Courtney's. I also enjoyed her love interest with Wes so much more. He was much more adorable and charming. So cute that I wish a man existed like that for myself! Maybe somewhere he does!

This was a fun and amusing little read which would be perfect for any one who is looking for a summer read.

And hey, there's a web series about to air telling the humorous tale of both women, check out the trailer:



I'm pretty excited for the little series and intend to watch it. Check it out yourselves!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!