Wednesday, April 7, 2010

April is National Poetry Month!

In 1996 the Academy of American Poets declared April to be the National Month for Poetry! I adore poetry and without it, I don't know where I would be today! My first publications were of my poems and although I don't write poetry very often I do enjoy it when I take the time to place pen to paper.

So in this lovely month of April, if you have to suffer any showers to bring your May flowers, sit indoors and open a lovely book of poetry!

With that... a few of my own favorite poems/pieces by famous poets:

The Lady of Shallot- Lord Alfred Tennyson

I adore the Waterhouse painting of this lovely lady and the ballad is filled with all of the necessary things I need. Confession: There is a group of people who love Waterhouse paintings. You can submit information about yourself with a list of photos and the members get to chose what painting most suits you, I was depicted as the Lady of Shallot =)

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening- Robert Frost
I feel that this poem depicts much of my childhood winters in a lovely type of setting.

La Belle Dame Sans Merci- John Keats
Another Pre-Raphaelite depiction which I adore. Fairies, knights, all magical and beautiful.

Part One: Life CXXXVI- Emily Dickinson
Google it, it's short and I adore the first quatrain

Bareback Pantoum- Cecilia Woloch
This poem changed my poetry-life. I had never known of the style 'pantoum' prior to reading this poem and I fell in absolute love with it. It's now the style I wrote most of my poetry in. Please, search for this poem and read it- it's beautiful and lovely in a haunting and dangerous kind of way. Without this poem, without Cecilia Woloch writing it, I don't believe I would have ever known the style existed.

With that, go check out some poems and btw, catch up on my review for The Best American Poetry of 2009- a great yearly publication (which was the source of my introduction to Cecilia Woloch, actueally!)

Happy National Poetry Month everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!