Thursday, March 25, 2010

Through the Looking Glass

The second portion of Alice in Wonderland this book is equally strange and curious. I somewhat enjoy this more than Alice in Wonderland itself because of the level of imagery it has. It probably also has to do with the fact that much of the imagery was placed into the Disney films.

The speaking flowers, the Jabberwocky poem, and the description of bugs was always so neat to me. As a little kid this appealed to me. I had a huge imagination and the very idea that maybe, just maybe, I was missing the voices and faces held within the very flowers I used to burry my face in.

I was never a fan of bugs as a child, I'd scream and flail the moment anything flew or crawled by me. When I watched the Disney films and read the book I just wished and yearned that we had rocking horse flies and bread and butter flies. Why couldn't our bugs talk or at the very least appear like something comforting and cute?

I think that is part of the appeal that Carroll created in his books. I placed before the reader- or rather, the little girls that he originally created the story for- an assortment of situations and creations that they would understand and relate to. Kittens and flowers, animals that talk and rhymes and poems. Many times Carroll will present something that is familiar to the children but make all imaginary occurrences seem true- at least to the eyes of a child.

Being completely honest I didn't always understand Alice and I feel that on some level I still do not. But I truly do believe that Carroll knew a thing or two about making a child's mind tap into interest and magic.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...