Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Let's Celebrate Reading and Dr. Seuss!

This week is Read Across America and I urge you all to rush to your bookshelf or bookstore and read some great books! To be more specific, grab a copy of a Dr. Seuss book because today is his birthday.

Today Dr. Seuss would have been 106 years young. He passed away on September 24, 1991 but is still living strong in the hearts of many. Really, how many of you remember reading Dr. Seuss books as a child? I certainly do. He published over 60 books and was always known for his imaginative and brightly colored images and rhyming stories. Some of his most well known books are Green Eggs and Ham, The Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish, and Oh! The Places You'll Go.

I never owned a single copy of Dr. Seuss's work. I admit it! Don't hate me! But I do have fond memories of his books. My doctor had every single one of them and I recall sitting in the waiting room reading all of the books while waiting for my check ups. I even recall the time I went to the doctors and realized I wasn't interested in the books anymore and they were 'too young' for me. I must have been about eight or nine. But I've always loved the books and now as an adult I've embraced them once more. My favorite Dr. Seuss work, by far, is The Grinch. I absolutely love the old cartoon version of it and adore watching it every Christmas. I love it, hands down and no further explanation, I just love it.

So what is your favorite Dr. Seuss book?
And how are you celebrating Read Across America?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!