Thursday, March 11, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Curiouser and curiouser!

That's how I always am when it comes to childhood favorites. I recall reading a book when I was very young (say, under the age of 13) and I remember either hating it or loving it. Then, in most cases I reread this children's book when I'm a teenager. But now I'm in my 20's and I'm starting to slowly go through these children's books again- reading them as if for the first time.


And it is like the first time. I read these children's books and every ten years that I read them I find them completely different. While I have vivid memories of believing Alice in Wonderland was possible and real as a six-year-old I remember being bored by the book and finding it far too long when I was a teenager. Now how do I feel about the book as I read it at the age of 23?

For one, I found it much easier to read as a source of relaxation and enjoyment then something of a chore (which I felt it was such during my teenage years). I was able to sit down on the spring like day with the cool air blowing through the open windows and read the book with joy. Maybe early spring weather makes me all the more open to daydreams and an open imagination.

None the less, the book is lovely as always. A curious child who asks far too many questions and thinks over everything. Many children are like this and from my few experiences with kids it always seems to be the daydreamers or only children who have the wild imagination which leaves them to having full conversations on their own.

Alice is thrown into an insane mix of events with completely insane creatures and the likes appearing before her. At times one could think that it's a bit much for a child to read. The riddles and rhymes could be too overwhelming for a child. The creatures too frightening. But sometimes I think we're over protective of children. Sometimes we forge this unbreakable opinion of what a childhood book should pertain. Something that's easily understood and full of pretty pictures. I truly feel that Alice breaks off from the typical ideal children's book and falls downward into a mixture of questions and perplexing moments that maybe children cannot answer but neither can adults.

It's such a strange story that it seems perfectly capable of being made into a movie. This is proven by Disney's cartoon adaptation and the more recent 3D movie. I've seen both, but I won't claim to know much about the cartoon version because it has been years since I saw it, but the 3D film throws you into Wonderland the way Lewis Carroll would want you to be. I have seen the 3D film twice now and I've loved it equally each and every time. Granted, this film isn't supposed to be a straight up adaptation of the book, but I still feel so many important points that are featured in the book are also featured in the movie.

2 comments:

  1. I think Alice is one of those books that definitely has to be reread. There's just so much in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a book-a-holic.

    Class-one nerd, riiight huur!

    ReplyDelete