Thursday, February 11, 2010

I've survived!

The blizzard of 2010.

We had our first snowstorm on Friday of this past week and the second one yesterday. It was epic and much like the snowstorms I'm used to from my childhood. We got nearly two feet of fresh snow added to the snow we already had previously from the first storm. This left my car looking like this:

Today we dug out the car. It took us four hours to do this and my body is screaming in pain from all of the shoveling. I'm sitting on the living room couch with aching muscles, pills at hand, and a heating pad on my back.

But on snowy days there is a certain list of things I enjoy doing and due to my being entirely incapable of moving right now (it took me 30 minutes to get out of my bed after I took a nap) I'm going to list those items.

1. I watch Lord of the Rings
I received my copies of each movie on each Christmas following their release. The first film (The Fellowship of the Ring) I received on a snowy Christmas. We got nearly three feet of snow during that day due to an epic storm and I sat watching my moving as it fell. So now, whenever we're hit with snow, I just have to watch The Lord of the Rings.

2. I go through bags of Homestyle popcorn.
Again, another snow related memory. During an interim in college we were snowed in and my classmate and I decided to get ahead with class by watching our required movie. She brought Homestyle popcorn with her and the memory has stuck. Therefore, I always go through a bag or two during snowstorms.

3. I read.
I picked The Tenant of Wildfell Hall off of my bookshelf for this particular storm. I'm enjoying it thus far! I love the Bronte sisters.

4. I do crafts.
I love to make magnets and signs but I haven't been out to buy the wood to make such things in a few weeks. However, I've been out and about to buy yarn and I'm working on two different blankets. The blue one in the photo is a bedspread I've been doing for three winters- the dark lagoon color is the last color of the blanket and I'm 14 rows away from being done. The light colored string is something new that I got. The yarn is called Simply Soft Eco. The polyester in the yarn is made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles. Nothing like making something to keep me warm and helping the earth at the same time!

I hope you all are doing well and have enjoyed your snow days thus far (if you had snow days like I did!)

1 comment:

  1. So glad you survived! Wish we could have taken some of your snow for you. Instead it was a snowless snow day =/

    ReplyDelete