Saturday, December 12, 2009

Holidays on Ice: Seasons Greetings to Our Friends and Family!!!


In this dark-humored yet hilarious 'letter' David Sedaris strikes again with his comical writing. Written as a letter that is sent out a Christmas with an update on family members (I know a couple of people do this, the yearly 'this is what's going on in our lives' letter) the wife of a family writes in a way that makes you immediately feel that she's either got a screw loose or is about to crack.


Continuing through the 'letter' it mumbles and grumbles on about the many issues in the family of the Dunbars but hints at some tragedy right off the start. Through the reading I kept taking guesses as to what the tragedy must be. Is it the love child that randomly showed up from the husbands past? Is it the drug addict daughter?

The end of the story reveals all and I have to admit, I was kinda shocked. I like dry humor but this was a little too dark for my taste. I had a very reassuring 'whose done it?' but sometimes I think I feel that way simply because I pity a character. While I could understand and appreciate the dark humor of SantaLand Diaries, this one... not so much. Still, the start of the short story was indeed amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment!