Sunday, November 1, 2009

Novembers Book of the Month: The Hunger Games

Early in October I asked you, my readers, to suggest a book for me to read. Meghan and Amanda both suggested I read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Meghan and Amanda's reasons for urging me to read this book are as follows:

Amanda wrote:

I read The Hunger Games because of Stephanie Meyer's recommendation of them on her website. I thought it might be a decent read, so when I found it at a used bookstore I bought it. I started reading it one morning before school and honestly could not.put.it.down. I was reading under my desk, racing to class just so I could shove in 8 minutes of reading time. I finished that night. Games honestly pulls you in and won't let you go, even after you've finished reading the book. I still think about Katniss, Peeta, & Gale, and I finished Catching Fire probably a month ago. I think you should read Games, if for nothing else, a brief escape from reality. I forgot everything around me. How often does a book like that come around?


and Meghan noted:


I first heard about The Hunger Games from Busy Bee Lauren. She was raving about it (and of course Peeta Mellark). I was looking for a new book to read. I’m really into fiction books, so I looked up what it was about. It’s different from other books I’ve been reading lately, so I decided what they hey I’ll give it a shot.

I started reading it and was hooked. When I really love a book, it’s generally because something about it traps me and I need to find out what is going to happen. That’s what happened here. I worried about Katniss and feared for her life in The Hunger Games. I fell for Peeta when he was trying to give Katniss a chance to win. I really cared about these characters.

That’s what I think makes this book great and worth checking out. It puts you in, what I assume is, a futuristic world that is ruled by the Capitol. You feel like you're fighting to return to your family who rely on you to survive. You know you don’t have much on your side, but still persevere to make it out alive. It's action-packed and the story is catching all the way through. I hope you enjoy it and look forward to what you think!

I picked up the book directly after both girls made their suggestions and read it during my time off from work. Right away I could see that this story wasn't in my zone of interest. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It was full of tough hands-on survival, adventure, danger, and fighting. I'm not usually one to find much interest in this type of thing. But I read on and by the end of the book was completely satisfied with the read. The time I had my nose in the book had been well spent and I do intend on reading the second book Catching Fire.

Collins did a fantastic job in creating this futuristic world that is almost all too believable. The Capitol has control over the Twelve Districts and all of their inhabitants. For someone who might like to look into political theories and scary possibilities of the future this could be something they could think of. Not only does Collins create this uncomfortable world (uncomfortable for me because I'm quite happy in the one I live in and would not be too keen if I had to live in a District) but Collins creates this fantastic female character. Katniss can kick butt and take names while doing it. She has taken care of her family since her fathers death and willingly steps forward to go to The Hunger Games in place of her younger sister. She's not a prissy needy girl who has to have aide all of the time. Oh, no. Katniss is braver than most of the male characters in the book and a great role model of sorts for the female readers of the series.

Just because the lead character is a female does not mean it only has a female following. Collins makes this into a book that boys can enjoy too. Katniss might be a female character (and let's face it, middle school boys don't exactly want to be caught reading a book that's about a girl) but she's strong and easily likable to readers both male and female. Peeta, who is the male tribute from Katniss' district, is an even more likable character. While Katniss is all spitfire and bravery Peeta seems caring and full of heart.

The concept of sending mere children, teenagers, into an arena where they must fight to the death is frightening and that edge of fright followed me through the book. I didn't want anyone to die, I wanted something to intervene and send them all home, and I am sure many of the characters felt the same way. I adored the one tribute, Rue, and how she broke Katniss in many ways and made her more likable.

With the Capitol literally making a sport out of these children's deaths they throw obstacles in their way if they feel that there isn't enough entertainment. Making it rain, draining the water supplies, setting the forest their trapped in on fire, and setting loose hybrid wolves.

Although this edge of adventure is totally not in my literary interest I could not put the book down and the characters followed me whenever I was not reading. I found that I wanted to know who survived, I wanted to know how they survived. And now I would like to know what happens next.

Lionsgate Entertainment has apparently grabbed hold of The Hunger Games and are working at bringing it to the big screen. This was announced in early March 2009 and through much of the book, I admit, I would think, "How would this look if it was in a movie?" But it's almost easy to think of, considering that all of the hunger games are being broadcasted through the twelve districts. It was made for the screen. Whether or not Lionsgate goes through with making this into a movie or not, who knows. If they go through with it I don't know if it will be fantastic or not good at all. But I can say this, I will probably be seeing the film and I will definitely be reading the rest of the series.

3 comments:

  1. at least you didn't think it was awful!

    i honestly don't know how this book will be made into a pg-13 movie. i mean...sending 24 children in a fight to their death is totally children's entertainment. except not!

    we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I picked it up, I wasn't sure I would like it with the survival, danger, and fighting aspect either. But I'm glad you liked it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the hunger games, I am glad you enjoyed it too ( or somewhat at least)


    http://themockingjay.vndv.com

    ReplyDelete